What's new

Routers keep crashing due to kernel panic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spartanunitato

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys, I'm running a rt ac86u as my router, with 2 rt ac1200g+s as wireless APs to increase the signal range. My 1200g+s have been acting weird lately, they often run into kernel panics together at the same time, while the 86u never seems to have any problem. I have attached the logs of the 1200g+s, what is wrong with them?
(Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt) This seems to be the big problem that keeps reappearing again and again.

Attachments

• 86u.txt
    450.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 1200g+ 1.txt
    272.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 1200g+ 2.txt
    475.2 KB · Views: 100
Have you tried resetting them and re-associating them to the main router?

Are they running the same firmware codebase as the RT-AC86U?

What are the firmware versions of all routers?

I have reset all of them and set them up again but the issue still persists. My 86u runs 3.0.0.4.386.41634, The 2 1200g+s run 3.0.0.4.382.52272. I am not using aimesh, I just use the 1200g+s as wireless APs connected to the 86u via ethernet cables.

That 386.41634 code is known/buggy I believe.

If your AP's are wired, they are not configured as 'wireless AP's'. They are just AP's.

Have you tested new cables between them and the router? Do you have a switch or other network infrastructure between the router and the '1200G's?

Have you added your wireless devices one at a time to your network to determine which one (if any) are crashing it?

I would suggest flashing RMerlin 386.1 firmware to your RT-AC86U instead, afterward, reset the router to factory defaults, then proceed to minimally and manually configure it as suggested in the steps below.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!