What's new

Routing multiple LANs to internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oceano

New Around Here
My wife's office is moving into a new (to them) building. They will eventually share the building with another small business. My wife's company owns the building and will be renting out the extra space to separate businesses. The networks need to be isolated due to the sensitive nature of the work she does.

My question is this...what do I need to set up the network to separate the two (or possibly more) office LANs and share the ISP connection? Also, does each LAN need it's own public IP?

They'll have a 10gb fiber connection from the ISP. So my thought is this...10gb fiber into a router (suggestions welcomed for which one), and possibly a managed switch for a VLAN assigned to each business.

I'd rather not have a separate DHCP server, so can a router handle the DHCP for two subnets independently?

Thanks for any help!

My initial thought is to have separate static WAN IP addresses. Let them run their own router. Provide them one switch port at the DMark so they can plug into it from their business. Make them string their own copper or fiber. Otherwise they can call their provider and have their own network. Any more and you are providing network services.

Thanks for the response. I agree with you there. Unfortunately, my wife's boss it intending to use the other users rent to pay for part of the service. But then comes administration, tech support etc that they won't have time/ability to handle. I just want an accurate picture to present to them so it's realized what they're getting into before they commit.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!