What's new

Routing question: How to reach Media Bridge via Access Point from LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wolfschiesst

Occasional Visitor
Dear Merlin-community,

i have a setup constisting of 3 Asuswrt-Merlin driven Asus WLAN routers in my local home LAN.

LAN-Topology:
Code:
------------------- 1. floor ----------------------------------------------------
+ PC
|
| (1 GBit LAN cable)
|
+ RT-AC88U (Main Router connected to Speedport DSL-Modem; Merlin FW: 384.3_beta1, IP: 192.168.100.1,
distributing 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz WLAN, SSID: EXAMPLE# (Channel 6) and EXAMPLE_5GHz# (Channel 100)
|
| (powerline connection via 2 x Devolo DLan 1200+ adapters)
|
------------------- ground floor ----------------------------------------------
|
+ RT-AC87U (configured to run in Access Point Mode; Merlin FW: 380.69_2, IP: 192.168.100.2,
| distributing 5 GHz and 2,4 GHz WLAN, SSID: EXAMPLE# (Channel 11) and EXAMPLE_5GHz# (Channel 52))
|
| (5 GHz WLAN wireless connection; distance about 5 meters beeline, 2 wood-walls in between)
|
+ RT-AC68U (configured to run in Media Bridge Mode and connect via 5 GHz WLAN to RT-AC87U;
    Merlin FW 384.3_beta1; IP: 192.168.100.3,  link rate to AP: 1300 Mbps shown in dashboard)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem description:
I cannot reach the webinterface of the RT-AC68U Media Bridge on IP 192.168.100.3 as long as it is connected to the 5 GHz WLAN of the Access Point RT-AC87U from my PC using a browser or using ping.
Browser states: Network timeout.

When I turn of the RT-AC87U, it connects to the 5 GHz WLAN of the RT-AC88U and everything works fine as intended. Then I can reach the webinterface from PC, successfully.

I now tried to setup the followingmanual route on the main router (RT-AC88U) as a solution:

Code:
Network       | Netmask       | Gateway       | Metric | Interface
192.168.100.3 | 255.255.255.0 | 192.168.100.2 | 1      |LAN

But still it is not working, as long the RT-AC68U is connected to the RT-AC87U.

Does anyone have an idea for a solution?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!