What's new

Routing Table Gateway column contains only * after OpenVPN connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

marelit

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

first of all let me express a huge thank you to everyone in the community, especially RMerlin. I have been using the Merlin firmware for well over 3 years now and followed many tutorials in this forum without being signed up. AsusWRT Merlin has almost never let me down - till today.

So let me explain the best I can:
In my families house I have an up to date OpenVPN TUN Server running on my RasPi (set up via pivpn) which is doing a great job. It is definitely reachable on the Internet as I have tried with various other devices.

Today I wanted to connect my RT-AC66U (192.168.1.1, running 380.68_4) to the server which also was no problem at first. I got the
tunnel up and running, but although I configured policy based routing through the GUI, like I have done many times before, the devices I wanted to go through the tunnel could not connect to the Internet.
After some research I figured that my OpenVPN Server running on my Router allocated connecting clients to 10.8.0.0 - and my Pi Server used the same subnet. So I changed the Pi config file for the server to 10.9.0.0. Still things did not work out.
So I had a look whether there could be some routing conflicts - and now it starts to get strange: My routing table looks like this:

Code:
admin@Router:/tmp/home/root# netstat -r
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
<public ip>     *               255.255.255.255 UH        0 0          0 eth0
192.168.20.0    *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 wl0.2
10.8.0.0        *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 tun21
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 br0
192.168.10.0    *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 wl0.1
10.9.0.0        *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 tun13
<public ip>     *               255.255.248.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U         0 0          0 lo
default         <public ip>.sta 0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0

tun13 is the client I am trying to set up, tun21 my server.
I had a look at my routing table just a few days ago and I am sure that these asterisks in the gateway column have not been there before. Especially for the OpenVPN clients and the server there must have been different gateways. From my understanding an asterisk hast the same effect like 0.0.0.0.
So my final questions are: Did anyone experience the same thing once? Is there a way to restore my routing table? If so, how? Maybe an automated periodic backup of the file? And what could have caused this? Or do I have to factory reset and start all over again:(?

Thank you very much for all answers in advance:). If something is unclear please let me know!

marelit

This is normal. Even my Linux machines show the same thing.

With OpenVPN, the kernel's routing database is used. You need to use the iproute2's "ip route" command instead to get the details.

This is normal. Even my Linux machines show the same thing.

With OpenVPN, the kernel's routing database is used. You need to use the iproute2's "ip route" command instead to get the details.

Thank you :). So my best bet would probably be to start all over again?