What's new

Routing traffic via OpenVPN Server through OpenVPN Client connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bhups

Occasional Visitor
I have set up an OpenVPN server on my ASUS RT-AC66U router (merlin firmware).
I have also set up a connection to IPVanish using the OpenVPN Client connection.

Is it possible to route traffic from the client connection to the OpenVPN Server via the IPVanish connection?

I tried to use the Redirect Internet traffic options on the OpenVPN Client, but it kept giving me a page cannot be found message when loading websites.
I set the Source IP (my VPN client IP) to be 10.0.1.0/24 - Destination to be 0.0.0.0 - Interface VPN
I also tried the following: Source IP (my VPN client IP) to be 10.0.1.0/24 - Destination to be 192.168.1.0/24 (my internal network IP) - Interface VPN

Any pointers?

I do not want all traffic to be routed via IP Vanish due to slow connections.

I've finally got the setup working as I need it (after a few weeks of smashing my head against a wall of nails).

What I had to do:

1. Connect to my ASUS VPN Server to make the inital connection to access the LAN.
2. Set up my Synology NAS network connection to DHCP - This was my most single point of failure with this WHOLE damn setup as I had it on manually assigned.
3. Set up and connect to the OpenVPN client to IPVanish which has all traffic routed through it.

No need to set up the ASUS router to IPVanish and turn on redirection rules.

Now I have my NAS as a Proxy server too so I can use it via my access through the OpenVPN connection on the ASUS router.

All sorted.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!