What's new

Routing Via GUI Ineffective, What Am I Doing Wrong?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kevin K

Regular Contributor
When I create a route via the GUI:
  • Network/Host IP = 192.168.4.0
  • Netmask = 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway = 192.168.2.4
  • Metric = 1
  • Interface = LAN
  • Click "+"
  • Click APPLY
it doesn't show up in the routing table when I connect via ssh and run the route command.

What am I misunderstanding? Is there a way to enter the equivalent of
Code:
route add -net 192.168.4.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.2.4
via the GUI?

EDIT: Is your router's LAN 192.168.2.x? If not the route is invalid.

You don't appear to be doing anything wrong. That's a pretty straight forward and simple option that's always worked in the past. Perhaps it's a bug in a particular firmware version.

What router and firmware are you using?
Is your entry still present in the GUI if you navigate away and then back to that page?
Are there any messages in System Log - General Log when you apply the route?
Does the route appear in System Log - Routing Table?

Last edited:
ColinTaylor: Thank you for the reply.

Is your router's LAN 192.168.2.x?
No. The router on which I am entering this route has a WAN address of 192.168.2.8. Maybe we're just missing on vocabulary. I think the GUI fields I mentioned above are the equivalent of the command-line route I mentioned above, and the command-line route sets up the desired route and the route works, so the addresses are right. I'm just trying to figure out why the GUI command does not have the same effect.

What router and firmware are you using?
AC68, 384.19

Is your entry still present in the GUI if you navigate away and then back to that page?
Yes. It is also persistent through a router reboot, so it really is saved.

Are there any messages in System Log - General Log when you apply the route?
When I apply the route, there are plenty of messages because it restarts networking, but I don't see any errors from route or related to the addresses in that route.

Does the route appear in System Log - Routing Table?
Aha! It does not. System Log > Routing Table does match what I see when I run 'route' from the command line.

So that brings up a new question: Why does a route I apply via LAN > Route, not show up in System Log > Routing Table?

There's something about that route in particular. And... That's it. Apparently, the route command is defaulting to WAN. The GUI clearly defaults to LAN. Changi
  • Interface = LAN
to
  • Interface = WAN
fixes it.

Thanks for the help!

Glad to hear you got it working.
Apparently, the route command is defaulting to WAN. The GUI clearly defaults to LAN.
FYI. The route command isn't defaulting to WAN, it's just that you didn't specify an interface and it knows that 192.168.2.4 is part of the WAN subnet. The problem you initially had was that you were explicitly saying in the GUI that 192.168.2.4 was part of the LAN, which if course it isn't.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!