What's new

Routing WIFI clients through secondary internal router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mustavas

New Around Here
Hi Everyone,
This is my first question here to go easy on me!

I have an ASUS DSL-AC68U running my internet connection and majority of my LAN clients.
Unfortunately like many here, I find myself limited by the stock firmware and am unable to use any alternatives like Merlin.

In a nutshell, I want to run a open connection VPN to PIA for all traffic except 1 or 2 hosts on my network (e.g gaming pc) and I am not easily able to do this with the DSL. AC68U .

I have a pfsense server running on an ESX host that works will for any VM on my host...is there anyway that I can route devices connected via wifi through my pfsense VM?

I would also be happy to run my VPN at a router level if I could exclude a specific client :)

Thank you for any advice!

upload_2017-3-11_13-47-16.png

Part of the problem here is that your DSL-68U is also your modem...

For many - I would suggest putting the pfSense instance as the gateway, but not as an ESX instance...

(pfSense is a great gateway/firewall, but as a virtual instance, one can't depend on their protection, and VMWare has had their issues)

indeed! this certainly is proving itself to be an issue.
I am focused on getting the routing sorted before worrying about security. My initial thoughts are that have separate vswitches for lan/vmkernel interfaces and WAN traffic should minimize exposure as well as some other hardening that I will follow once the concept is working.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!