What's new

Rp-ac1900 with ac86u aimesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

truglodite

Regular Contributor
I was looking at possibly adding a second ap to go with my ac86u to provide mesh. I plan on using a cat6 backhaul. My first thought was to get a second ac86u. Then I saw the rp-ac1900 ap extender for $62 less:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VPL6BL6/?tag=snbforums-20

If I added that as a mesh ap to my 86u router using aimesh, would it perform as well as 2x 86u's in the same configuration? I figure why pay for another router if I only use one... but if there is something to gain spending extra for a second 86u, then I would like to know what that something extra might be. I do have a quickly growing set of wifi iot devices if that plays into it.

I don't know too much about the RP-AC1900 unit. The RT-AC66U_B1 has the same hardware as the well know RT-AC68U for less money (and is cheaper than the RP unit). The RT-AC86U wireless performance is slightly better than that of the RT-AC68U in my testing. If it were me I'd grab a RT-AC66U_B1 for the AiMesh node. And, if for some reason your 86U fails (not saying it will) in the future the B1 could be swapped in as your main router while the 86U is being repair/replaced while the RP cannot.

The RP-AC1900 isn't listead as being AiMesh-compatible by Asus.

Interesting it isn't listed as supporting mesh by asus... the Amazon page shows Asus marketing materials that say the opposite... even asus website markets it as an aimesh extender.

I was thinking mesh is better than a regular ap because with regular ap the client picks... vs the router controlling handovers, correct? If not I have a wrong concept and need to study more.

If the ac66u-b1 is as good then yeah I wouldn't mind having backup router capabilities. I was just thinking the rp-ac1900 might have similar specs to the ac86u (since they are being marketed on the same page on amazon anyways). I know that sounds pretty obtuse... bare with me I haven't had much time to read up lately with my work schedule... so I am reaching a bit here.

Interesting it isn't listed as supporting mesh by asus... the Amazon page shows Asus marketing materials that say the opposite... even asus website markets it as an aimesh extender.
You might be onto something there. Even though it isn't shown on Asus's "AiMesh" list the actual product page clearly states its primary purpose is for AiMesh.

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RP-AC1900/
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RP-AC1900/E20180720_RP-AC1900_QSG.pdf

Last edited:
Best would be to contact Asus to ask them about it. I see their AiMesh minisite no longer lists AiMesh-capable models, so there's no longer an up-to-date definitive list to consult.

But when I look at the source code, AiMesh does not show as being enabled for the RP-AC68U, so my personal answer would be "not supported".

There is no RP-AC1900 build profile in the source code, so I don't know what other profile it would use.
The firmware download for the RP-AC1900 has the same MD5 as the RT-AC68U, et al. (3.0.0.4.385.10000)

Just what the world needs, another RT-AC68U with a different model number. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The firmware download for the RP-AC1900 has the same MD5 as the RT-AC68U, et al. (3.0.0.4.385.10000)

Just what the world needs, another RT-AC68U with a different model number. :rolleyes:

The RP-AC1900 would be based on a router firmware instead of the RP-AC68U? Sounds odd to me...

Sorry to resurrect a year old thread, but the RP-AC1900 is definitely able to be flashed with the firmware for the RT-AC68U. I've been using mine on stock 3.0.0.4.386_41634 since its release as a wireless AiMesh node with no issues, because I wanted to try AiMesh 2.0 and found this thread and figured why not. I just flashed it like a normal firmware update and the RP-AC1900 accepted it with no issue.

index.png

I'd like to try to merlin on this device but was wondering if it was advisable to even try.

I disassembled my RP-AC1900 and found that it had a RT-AC66U board in it. I guess it could be a B1 variant. I did find in my case that the Asus Merlin firmware for the AC68U seemed to cause issues.. ie. small pauses, lan disconnects. I dropped the clock speed using :

Code:
nvram set asuscfeclkfreq=800,666 && nvram set asuscfecommit=1
nvram set clkfreq=800,666 && nvram commit && reboot

and that seems to work, even as an AI mesh node.

1620150554283.png

1620150608707.png