What's new

Rp ax56,ax58

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ronorbar

Regular Contributor
I want to improve reception in a certain area of the house, is it recommended to connect rp ax56, ax58 (I want something small...) The main router is gt ax6000.

RP-AX58 is the newer device. It's a repeater with AiMesh compatibility. How well it will work in your place only you can tell.

I guess it all depends on how much WiFi you need in that certain area of the house! I have the GT-AX6000 and a single RP-AX56. The reason for getting the RP-AX56 was to get a reliable signal to a Netatmo thermostat which due to its positioning needed the signal to pass through a floor at a shallow angle and then a brick wall and two breeze block walls. I've been playing with WiFi for 20+ years, and I think the RP-AX56 is the first extender that I've been truly happy with. That said, it's pretty much light use and mostly on 2.4GHz/20MHz bandwidth - so half (as an extender even mesh more like a quarter) the advertised speed tops, and on 2.4GHz there's no difference in spec between the RP-AX56 and the RP-AX58. If I needed that extra 5GHz bandwidth I might upgrade, but here in the UK the router has picked a 1W tx channel and AX distinctly offers better range and speeds than AC.

Is this thing recognized as AiMesh compatible device?
Yup it's AiMesh. The concern that I have with the RP-AX56 is that it's not had an update since June 2021

To me, repeaters are a waste of money.

The RT-AX68U is better, for example. And it can be used as a router too when needed.

The best would be a second GT-AX6000 (i.e., the identical model as the main unit). Particularly when in wired backhaul mode.

To me, repeaters are a waste of money.

The RT-AX68U is better, for example. And it can be used as a router too when needed.

The best would be a second GT-AX6000 (i.e., the identical model as the main unit). Particularly when in wired backhaul mode.

This isn't just a repeater though is it. Ties in with the AIMesh (if you have an ASUS setup) or can be used as an access point too.

The RP-AX58 is £78 in the UK (When they have stock) and the GT-AX6000 is around £330 and the RT-AX68U is £150.

The price is a good indicator of the value of the repeater (even if it supports AiMesh), but that value is still zero to me.

That is a throw-away product. Even the 2x2:2 RF circuit points to that. Single-use devices (at this entry-level point) are barely adequate, let alone performant. You'll have effectively outgrown the benefits offered before it is even shipped.

The RT-AX68U will be the best choice/value here. Even at double the cost of the repeater.

A second GT-AX6000 will offer the best long-term performance and satisfaction, along with the capability of being used as a backup router too, if needed.

The price is a good indicator of the value of the repeater (even if it supports AiMesh), but that value is still zero to me.

That is a throw-away product. Even the 2x2:2 RF circuit points to that. Single-use devices (at this entry-level point) are barely adequate, let alone performant. You'll have effectively outgrown the benefits offered before it is even shipped.

The RT-AX68U will be the best choice/value here. Even at double the cost of the repeater.

A second GT-AX6000 will offer the best long-term performance and satisfaction, along with the capability of being used as a backup router too, if needed.
I disagree, but fair enough.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!