What's new

RP-AX58 for AiMesh has some serious flaws

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brad H

Occasional Visitor
Already using one RP-AX56 for an AiMesh node and while I wouldn't call it rock solid, it can hum along for several months without any issues. And when issues do arise, most of the time I can pull it from the wall, wait a minute, plug it back in & 9 out of 10 times, it comes back on ready to roll. I found the RP-AX58 for the same price so I opted for the newer model. As an extender or media bridge, it's fine. But for AiMesh, it is for all practical purposes, unusable. First, I know adding nodes can sometimes take voodoo to get to work but this one is incredibly frustrating. Using the app & the web interface, I went through the setup about 40 times (not kidding). It would find the node but never add it to the mesh. But thru just brute force, eventually, for no obvious reason, it would work. After that, 15 feet from the main router, it would report a weak signal (where the AX56 reports Great). It would drop off the mesh several times a day and rebooting...well, just plan on unplugging/plugging it back because it's not reconnecting on it's own.

With that said, I bought a new product with no firmware updates yet so that is on me. And I imagine if they work on firmware updates, it will be a good product. But at least for AiMesh, it isn't ready. Stick with the 56. I just assumed that the 58 was a faster 56 and that is definitely not the case. It's strange how a seemingly minor upgrade could change its reliability so much.

As an extender or media bridge, it's fine.
Hi, I have literally just bought an RP-AX58 for use as a media bridge. It was on sale for the same price as the AX56, and there did appear to be one firmware update for it on the ASUS website.

Have you used it as a bridge, and if so, do you mind me asking what your experience has been?

When using in Media Bridge mode, I seem to be able to get an IP address from DHCP on the connected device, and can route to the rest of the network. However the LED keeps flashing blue, which the user guide suggests means "starting WPS" in extender mode, or else "Connecting to AIMesh router" in AIMesh mode.

Also, the AX58 itself doesn't appear to have an IP address on the network. (It's been a while since I last used ASUSWRT in bridge mode, but I thought it should have its own distinct IP address so that I could connect to the admin UI.)
Update: Assigning a static IP allows me to connect to the RP-AX58's gui, but the LED is still permanently flashing blue.)

Last edited:
I have messed around with my two too long and missed my return window so I'm just writing them off and getting two more 56's.

The things I have noticed....

1) Like you, the LED always flashes blue in bridge mode. Not a big deal but not expected behavior
2) The site survey for 5Mhz simply does not find anything in the web interface but does in the phone app
3) Worthless as AiMesh node. Weak signal and will drop in two hours. 56 reports great signal and stay connected for months
4) SimpliSafe Doorbell. Although the doorbell itself is flawed, it works "OK" on the 56. 58, it can't stay connected over half a day
5) Even though the router is on 192.168.50.1, the 58 will still land on that same address even if you assign a static IP in the router. I put the router on 254 although I could have assigned a static IP on the 58 itself but the point is, I shouldn't have to.

I just assumed the 58 was just an improved 56 but I don't think it is. Firmware may fix it but especially with ASUS, you really can't assume they'll fix it eventually.

If I were able, I would return it. They might be OK at some point but if you bought it, you need it now... I think home networking stuff is one of those things that we assume problems are something we did or they'll fix it in an update when the truth is sometimes it's just a poor product.

Thanks for posting your experience. I've had a 56 for a while as an AI Mesh node, and it worked very well to fill in a hole in my 5GHz coverage. I was thinking about moving up to the 58, but for just a little more, I decided to go with the RT-AX58U to use as a node in that area. It's working a lot better, most noticeable the improved signal strength from the external antennas.

Thanks for posting your experience. I've had a 56 for a while as an AI Mesh node, and it worked very well to fill in a hole in my 5GHz coverage. I was thinking about moving up to the 58, but for just a little more, I decided to go with the RT-AX58U to use as a node in that area. It's working a lot better, most noticeable the improved signal strength from the external antennas.
I think a true router with multiple external antennas will probably do better than an extender almost always but you have the spouse acceptance factor. Seems like the sleek rectangle with no antennas is easier to hide.

Mine seems fine. Had it roughly 40/50 days and have no issues whatsoever.

Backhaul via ethernet, it just works.
And the one that I'm using as a media bridge works good other than the weird flashing LED. But for wireless mesh, both that I tried were too unreliable to use & the 56 in the same outlet is rock solid.

Do these devices ship with multiple (swappable) plug tops? I'm in Australia and currently Amazon is offering a great price with free shipping from the UK but has a caveat that an adapter may be required.

I'm in Australia and currently Amazon is offering a great price with free shipping from the UK

You don't want UK (EU) region locked Wi-Fi device in Australia.

Been using the RP-AX58 in bridge mode for a bout 6 months now and i'm getting annoyed with it losing connection (flashing blue) randomly every couple days to every couple weeks.

But i can fix it temporarily by just unplugging it and plugging it back in and then it will work as normal until then next time it loses connection...

Been using the RP-AX58 in bridge mode for a bout 6 months now and i'm getting annoyed with it losing connection (flashing blue) randomly every couple days to every couple weeks.

But i can fix it temporarily by just unplugging it and plugging it back in and then it will work as normal until then next time it loses connection...
I have two 56's and two 58's. The 56's just work. Bridge, extender or AiMesh...they just work. The 58's do OK as a bridge for me but you'll be babysitting for anything else. Really disappointed that firmware updates have been few and far between. For the minimal supposed benefits, it just isn't worth it. I would say always go with the 56's and leave the 58's on the shelf.

I updated from an RP-AX56 to an RP-AX58 in April 2023 when we finally had FTTP installed. Its worked pretty much flawlessly though the main reason for having it was to get signal into a fireproof service cupboard for some Netatmo heating controls. Before getting the earlier RP-AX56 I had tried twice with XD4 units, both of which were returned due to them resetting to default on AiMesh after about 24hrs of use!

I updated from an RP-AX56 to an RP-AX58 in April 2023 when we finally had FTTP installed. Its worked pretty much flawlessly though the main reason for having it was to get signal into a fireproof service cupboard for some Netatmo heating controls. Before getting the earlier RP-AX56 I had tried twice with XD4 units, both of which were returned due to them resetting to default on AiMesh after about 24hrs of use!
Same. Not had any issues with it really.

Plugged in upstairs via wired backhaul. I do occasionally unplug and replug but that's probably once every other month

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!