What's new

"rstats[560]: Problem loading /mnt..." in system log

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JoeSchmoe007

Regular Contributor
I use 3.0.0.4.270.26 Merlin fw.

Bandwidth logging is configured to save to USB flash drive (formatted as FAT32). Per-device bandwidth logging is also on. Router sees flash drive - I can browse it via "Network Place (Samba)" in router UI.

However, every 15 minutes there is a message in General Log:

Mar 30 19:06:36 rstats[560]: Problem loading /mnt/KINGSTON/TrafficLog/tomato_rstats_60a44c293e20.gz. Still trying...

The file with the name specified exists on flash drive and has recent "Date Modified" (32 minutes ago as of now) - confirmed via Windows Explorer.

Was does this message indicate?

Make sure you are not mixing rstats (used for regular traffic) and cstats (used for per IP monitoring). They are two separate files.

You could try rebooting your router in case something got mixed up with the rstats daemon.

Make sure you are not mixing rstats (used for regular traffic) and cstats (used for per IP monitoring). They are two separate files.

You could try rebooting your router in case something got mixed up with the rstats daemon.

I didn't initially realized there were supposed to be 2 separate files. This is how I fixed it:

1) Switched logging back to RAM and pressed "Apply"

2) Switched logging to Custom Location again, specified folder and made sure that "Create or reset data files:" AND "Create or reset advanced data files" are both set to "Yes". Then pressed "Apply".

Merlin: does per IP monitoring add significant CPU load and/or memory usage?

I didn't initially realized there were supposed to be 2 separate files. This is how I fixed it:

1) Switched logging back to RAM and pressed "Apply"

2) Switched logging to Custom Location again, specified folder and made sure that "Create or reset data files:" AND "Create or reset advanced data files" are both set to "Yes". Then pressed "Apply".

Merlin: does per IP monitoring add significant CPU load and/or memory usage?

Virtually none. It's implemented as an iptables module, so it's just one more rule for the router to go through while processing packets. You would need a very high speed Internet connection with a lot of traffic for it to have any measurable impact.