What's new

rsync performance - 13 MB/s only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snbdora

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I wanted to "rsync" a folder from 219PII to 453Pro. I tried NAS to NAS and HBS but was getting ~13MB/s speed. Another option I tried mounting both the share on a linux box and running "rsync" across them but the speed is same.

I think it's pretty low considering both NAS boxes are on the same network, same broadcast domain and no hops in between. MTU is 1500 and changed the ring size on 453pro to 4096. I couldn't change it on 219PII though.

Is there anything can be done to speed up the data xfer?

Please advise.
Thanks

I am not familiar with your devices but 13MB/s is suspiciously close to 100Mbps. Try different Ethernet cables and if possible verify that all connections are operating at gigabit.

And make sure all other settings are the same between the NAS'. That 4096 shouldn't be changed if it can't be on the other. :)

sounds like the same result you get when you look at the NASPT tests for directory copy with a lot of small files.
What do you get when you just copy directories back and forth ?

Changed the cables to CAT6. The bottleneck seem at the 219PII end. The upload and download speeds are 11 & 3 MB/s using scp and moving the same file across. Also observed that while doing the file transfer, the 219PII NAS CPU utilization will go up to 100% and stays until the transfer is complete. 90% of it is by "sshd" itself.

before switching cables. check your interface links if they are at 1Gb/s, however there are other bottlenecks like CPU and in some cases, overheads for syncing (checking the files not transferring) over the network. When you perform a rsync check your network and cpu usage. Some hard drives are really slow too so syncing many small files can be slow.

Anyone out there who have TS-219PII NAS and can confirm the data xfer speed in and out of the network interface preferably on 1Gb network?

Thanks

I got 17 MB / sec syncing from my new 231P2 to my old 219PII over my internal network.

I get the same speed syncing with the 219PII moved to my brother-in-law's house over a 250 mbit connection.

I haven't checked the CPU usage during this, but have noted that the 219PII hits 100% often which certainly isn't the case for the 231P2.

I assume the 219PII CPU is the bottleneck. It is slower, 32bit and less memory. But it works as a backup destination!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!