What's new

RT-16N Connection drops - how do I trouble shoot ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

db9

Occasional Visitor
I have made a few system changes in the last year, but recently I find connections are dropping frequently during the day.
My RT-16N was on Tomato when on DSL and after I changed to cable ISP. The Cable ISP supplied modem is in Bridge mode and I run the Asus behind that (DHCP etc). I have changed to Merlin and performance was ok - no drops and maybe only needing to do a total reboot once or twice in 6 months.

Within the last 3-4 weeks I've notice more frequent disconnects, most times the WAN is unresponsive for 1 or 2 minutes other times for longer periods (once up to 2 hours)

At first I was running 3.0.0.4_378.50_0 but recently changed to 3.0.0.4_374.43_2-25E3 and now E7.
Still drops .

Wanting to see if its my network issues or if it is an ISP issue I look at the system log (Merlin) but don't see any mention of a warning or disconnect - when I am unable to load a web page (google.ca for example or loss of connection during game play) I am unable to ping google.ca from the router network tool as well though under Network Map it says I'm connected and I have a Wan IP (supplied from the ISP) but I have no connectivity to the WWW.

What would be the best way to trouble shoot this - how would you go about isolating the fault.
The modem is a CGN3ACS in bridge (so I don't think there is a way for me to see it from behind my router) and I can log into my router and my 2 AP's that are connected to the RT-16N when the WAN connection is down.

Hopefully I have posted a somewhat coherent question.. but then if I can provide better or specific details please ask.

Thanks for reading..

Open it up. You might have bulging capacitors. One specifically is known to go bad. I've replaced a few.
Google it, you should find the info.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!