What's new

RT-3100 or RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ian Q

New Around Here
Any opinions if one of these are a better choice than the other, for example known issues, current support, regular updates, etc?

I can see both have firmware updates available from September, and I see many posts on the 86U, but not much on the 3100.

Feature-wise they are pretty close to being the same router, albeit the 86U has more flash memory and a slightly faster processor.

Price-wise they are with $20 CAD of each other.

I have a GT-AC2900 that I am returning due to ASUSWRT hangs, and figure I will give ASUS one more shot before moving on to another manufacturer (which I know all have issues too).

Any thoughts appreciated...IanQ

Any opinions if one of these are a better choice than the other, for example known issues, current support, regular updates, etc?

I can see both have firmware updates available from September, and I see many posts on the 86U, but not much on the 3100.

Feature-wise they are pretty close to being the same router, albeit the 86U has more flash memory and a slightly faster processor.

Price-wise they are with $20 CAD of each other.

I have a GT-AC2900 that I am returning due to ASUSWRT hangs, and figure I will give ASUS one more shot before moving on to another manufacturer (which I know all have issues too).

Any thoughts appreciated...IanQ

86U is a more current build.

OE

and much faster if you use VPN on router (onboard encryption chip), probably longer support too as much newer.

I have a GT-AC2900

GT-AC2900 is just a fancy more expensive version of RT-AC86U. If you are happy with the performance of GT-AC2900 and just the original ASUS firmware is causing issues, then RT-AC86U will give you the same performance + Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware support. Asuswrt-Merlin firmware offers configuration options not available (yet) in original ASUS firmware, making RT-AC86U the better router compared to GT-AC2900. RT-AC3100 is an old model router based on much slower hardware and older radio modules.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!