1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-3100 or RT-AC86U

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by Ian Q, Nov 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ian Q

Ian Q New Around Here

Any opinions if one of these are a better choice than the other, for example known issues, current support, regular updates, etc?

I can see both have firmware updates available from September, and I see many posts on the 86U, but not much on the 3100.

Feature-wise they are pretty close to being the same router, albeit the 86U has more flash memory and a slightly faster processor.

Price-wise they are with $20 CAD of each other.

I have a GT-AC2900 that I am returning due to ASUSWRT hangs, and figure I will give ASUS one more shot before moving on to another manufacturer (which I know all have issues too).

Any thoughts appreciated...IanQ

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

86U is a more current build.

OE

3. Grisu

Grisu Part of the Furniture

and much faster if you use VPN on router (onboard encryption chip), probably longer support too as much newer.

4. Val D.

Val D. Very Senior Member

GT-AC2900 is just a fancy more expensive version of RT-AC86U. If you are happy with the performance of GT-AC2900 and just the original ASUS firmware is causing issues, then RT-AC86U will give you the same performance + Asuswrt-Merlin custom firmware support. Asuswrt-Merlin firmware offers configuration options not available (yet) in original ASUS firmware, making RT-AC86U the better router compared to GT-AC2900. RT-AC3100 is an old model router based on much slower hardware and older radio modules.