What's new

rt-5300 no 2.4, 5g only node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HuskyHerder

I purchased a used 5300 unseen w/ some kind of issue. It turns out it was a non working 2.4 radio. No issue w/ that as I wouldn't really need the 2.4 channel on this particular unit. o_O I couldn't pass up a $35.00 purchase err. chance for a roll of the dice. :cool:
The unit looks like it just came out of the plastic. If it's been used its been minuscule.

I have already tried a button reset, GUI reset, WPS reset and it hasn't changed things. Oh well.

So, I was hoping to add into my setup, as a wireless node. I planned to ssh in and disable the 2.4 channel (no GUI access in nodes).

1. With the way the Mesh works will the radio get re enabled by the system? If the 2.4 is still enabled on the Master.
  2. I would also ask what's the risk if it was re-enabled by the Master ? I would assume it could burn out the unit ? Not much at risk money wise with only $35 in it but still. As far as I can tell in my very limited testing there is no 2.4 signal being transmitted.

My thought when purchasing the unit was to bridge the gap wirelessly between the in-laws and my home. (across street). With 5g-1 for their use and 5g-2 for backhaul.

If I parted it out, selling the antennas and power brick I feel certain, I could break even. I could also see what ASUS would charge to examine it. * Do they do that and is it reasonable or worth it ? Since I have so little in it at this point, I can spend a bit to try and get it completely functional.

Thanks for any thoughts etc. even if its just to say, go for it and then write back and tell us...:rolleyes:

Edit. :Yep, plan on running it w/ Merlin on Master 86U and stock on nodes 5300's.