1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-86U Slow Gigabit Speeds

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by chaseacej, Nov 15, 2018.

1. chaseacej

chaseacej New Around Here

I am getting slow gigabit speeds through my RT-86U router. I have Centurylink gigabit connection through PPPOE. Speeds I am getting rarely top out over 200mbps. Both direct wired and wireless.

I had the most recent Asus firmware and also currenlty running the newest marlin firmware. I have QoS turned off and both versions of hardware acceleration enabled. Nothing seems to be helping.

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

Is it fiber optic into the home? Twisted-pair copper?

OE

3. chaseacej

Fiber.

I had the Centurylink tech come and make sure it wasn't anything on their end. He said that unless you boot the device into safe mode the speed tests wont show the full gig speed.

4. Hawk

Hawk Senior Member

I have rt-ac86u as well with pppoe and symmetrical gigabit. No problem getting the speed on my end with router.
    What are the specs of your pc which you using to test internet speed, also can you bypass Asus router and try directly to rule out isp.

5. chaseacej

The tech brought in his laptop and under safe mode was getting the full 900+ speed. I have tried two different devices directly wired. One a few year old core i3 and the other a yoga laptop with a gigabit USB c adapter.