What's new

RT-86U - USB 2.0 port not mounting at boot.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

miazza

Regular Contributor
Hello, my RT-86U is running 384.17.

I have a USB Brive in the USB 2.0 port that is permanent for Entware and Diversion.
It worked fine till a few days ago but now the drive is not anymore mounted at boot.

If I unplug and replug, the drive is recognised and working but if I reboot again it does not mount.

I have tried different drives and reformatting but the issue remains the same also if I insert a fresh new drive.

I do not know if this is related to the latest FW upgrade but in this way diversion is not working ...

If I unplug and plug again, the drive is mounted but I cannot format it from the amtm script (it says something is in use); I have to remove the drive, delete the partition on my laptopo, insert it in the router and format.

Any suggestion on how to solve ?

Use a different brand USB drive. :)

Hello, my RT-86U is running 384.17.

I have a USB Brive in the USB 2.0 port that is permanent for Entware and Diversion.
It worked fine till a few days ago but now the drive is not anymore mounted at boot.

If I unplug and replug, the drive is recognised and working but if I reboot again it does not mount.

I have tried different drives and reformatting but the issue remains the same also if I insert a fresh new drive.

I do not know if this is related to the latest FW upgrade but in this way diversion is not working ...

If I unplug and plug again, the drive is mounted but I cannot format it from the amtm script (it says something is in use); I have to remove the drive, delete the partition on my laptopo, insert it in the router and format.

Any suggestion on how to solve ?
Did you give it a dedicated label?

Use a different brand USB drive. :)
I have tried 3 different brand and all with the same result.
The fact is that this drive has been perfectly working for more than one year and if I unplug and replug it is immediately recognised. It seems a fail in the mounting of the drive during the boot.
Also I cannot activate the swap file; I mean that I can create it but in the tools page it says it is not activated.

I tried manual mount but it does not work.

If I unplug-plug now I have diversion working and swap file activated but in the GUI it is not.

When I reboot, the drive seems not connected...

And YES, the drive has a label.

I also cannot configure SWAP File:
@RT-AC86U-3150:/jffs/scripts# swapon /tmp/mnt/RT-86U_Ext4/myswap.swp
swapon: /tmp/mnt/RT-86U_Ext4/myswap.swp: Invalid argument

The file is there and created with amtm amd also the post-mount in jfss is OK ... I'm getting crazy...

I also cannot configure SWAP File:
@RT-AC86U-3150:/jffs/scripts# swapon /tmp/mnt/RT-86U_Ext4/myswap.swp
swapon: /tmp/mnt/RT-86U_Ext4/myswap.swp: Invalid argument
Your swap file doesn't have a valid header. Likely because it is corrupted.

EDIT: Confirmed. Your syslog is full of these messages:
Code:
kernel: Unable to find swap-space signature

Last edited:
https://pastebin.com/we2Aevn8

It is my first try with pastebin. I hope I made it correctly.
It's difficult to tell which of the many errors in your syslog are caused by the router or caused by you unplugging the device.

It appears to be a hardware issue with the 4.02 GB device currently labelled as RT-86U_Ext4. The other USB devices look like they might be OK. I suggest you replace that device with another one.

OK. I will try again but the USB 2.0 port is not mounted at boot also with other devices.
I will clear the log and post a new fresh one without any unplug.

You have to initialise the partition or file that you are using as swap space using the "mkswap" command before you can use "swapon" to enable it.

mkswap /tmp/mnt/RT-86U_Ext4/myswap.swp
swapon /tmp/mnt/RT-86U_Ext4/myswap.swp

You have to initialise the partition or file that you are using as swap space using the "mkswap" command before you can use "swapon" to enable it.
This worked ! Thanks now I have swap file working. The question is why this was not done automatically from the amtm script.

And in any case it reamains the problem of the usb mout at boot ...

This worked ! Thanks now I have swap file working. The question is why this was not done automatically from the amtm script.
This would have been done by amtm when it created the swap file. The fact that you kept janking out the USB drive while it was being used is probably what corrupted it.

There is something wrong that I still cannot understand: I jank out the USB drive only when it is not found by the router and it is therefore difficult for me to suppose it is used for something.

The question remains: why the USB drive is not mounted at boot ?

As ColinTaylor already mentioned, because you more than likely corrupted it. :)

Just because it couldn't see the swap file doesn't mean it wasn't getting used. :)

The question remains: why the USB drive is not mounted at boot ?
As previously stated, all indications are that it's a hardware fault with that device. Do what you said you would, replace it with another device and then post a clean boot log.

Last night I tried few times with different drives without success.: all the times the drive was not mounted after reboot and making a manual plug/unplug was the only way for mounting again but the partition was in ro mode.

Finally I decided to try the drive that was reliably mounting on USB-3 port on USB-2: success ! :)
So far after a few reboot everything seems to be well working.
Code:
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Generic  Flash Disk       8.07 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 7987200 512-byte logical blocks: (4.09 GB/3.81 GiB)
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     IS916    innostor         1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 30720000 512-byte logical blocks: (15.7 GB/14.6 GiB)
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] No Caching mode page found
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
May  5 07:05:21 kernel:  sda: sda1
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
May  5 07:05:21 kernel:  sdb:
May  5 07:05:21 kernel: sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk

Even if very unluky it seems that I have more than one drive defetive ....

Thank you to all of you for the kind assistance.

And again. This morning I have again the entware USB drive unmounted and corrupted. I never dismounted it since 16th May. Yesterday evening the router was not responding at the Web IF and it was not even possible to connect new device to the Wifi even if all the conncted devices were still working and Internet was available.

It is already the thirs USB drive killed (or corrupted) and I wonder what is the issue here.

Upload the complete unedited log to pastebin for us to look at.

Visually examine the USB 2 socket. It sounds like it might be damaged, worn or dirty.

Last edited: