What's new

RT AC-5300 ethernet disonnection and speed issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EmZed99

New Around Here
Hi,

Have an RT AC-5300. Couple of problems

1) over the last few months the ethernet connection keeps randomly dropping for a few minutes. (The WiFi connection is 100% solid and never fails)

2) when the ethernet connection is working, it often is measuring low speed <100mbps. Physically disconnecting for a few seconds and then reconnecting sometimes restores connection to approx 900mbps. But still of course still often dealing with issue 1.

Updated firmware to latest - 3.0.0.4.386_48377. And completely reset router through WebUI. (Also changed cables and tried different ports etc.)

Hasn't seemed to have helped much.

What should I do next, or do I need a new router? This one is 7 and a half years old now.

Thanks.

Look for error messages in the router's System Log around the time of the problem.

Sounds like a faulty ethernet cable, replace it with a known good one.

Thanks Colin, have tried different cables and changed ports. Doesn't seem to have helped.

Will look at system logs, but nothing seems to jump out

Perhaps cleaning the lan ports would help. I know the contacts are gold plated and don't tarnish but they can still get sticky and dusty.
A little rubbing alcohol on a swab would do the job, but be careful to apply pressure to wipe from outside in, then lift clear of the contacts on the way out. No side-to-side.
Worth a try given the age of the router.

Hi,

Have an RT AC-5300. Couple of problems

1) over the last few months the ethernet connection keeps randomly dropping for a few minutes. (The WiFi connection is 100% solid and never fails)

2) when the ethernet connection is working, it often is measuring low speed <100mbps. Physically disconnecting for a few seconds and then reconnecting sometimes restores connection to approx 900mbps. But still of course still often dealing with issue 1.

Updated firmware to latest - 3.0.0.4.386_48377. And completely reset router through WebUI. (Also changed cables and tried different ports etc.)

Hasn't seemed to have helped much.

What should I do next, or do I need a new router? This one is 7 and a half years old now.

Thanks.

If the issue persists when only a test PC is wired to the router LAN ports, then I would go shopping.

OE

What’s a good replacement for my RT AC-5300 if I do need a new router?

Do you really need a "tri-band" router in first place?

If you do and like large spider look devices - GT-AX11000 Pro.

If you don't, but plan to use >Gigabit WAN/LAN at some point - RT-AX88U Pro.

If you don't and want something more compact in size this time - RT-AX86U Pro.

All of the above are new BCM4912 hardware models with upcoming 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware.

The last one of the list above is the most popular around and usually the cheapest.

Do you really need a "tri-band" router in first place?

If you do and like large spider look devices - GT-AX11000 Pro.

If you don't, but plan to use >Gigabit WAN/LAN at some point - RT-AX88U Pro.

If you don't and want something more compact in size this time - RT-AX86U Pro.

All of the above are new BCM4912 hardware models with upcoming 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware.

The last one of the list above is the most popular around and usually the cheapest.

Thanks Tech9, at any one time have 10 - 12 devices attached. And need Ethernet 1gbps connection for work.

And need a router that can run ExpressVPN through Open VPN

You need the older RT-AX86U second hand off eBay for cheap or a new RT-AX86U Pro. Both will fly with Gigabit connections WAN/LAN and can do about 200Mbps on OpenVPN. For longer support and the new Pro firmware you have to choose the new Pro model. Otherwise the older model is equally capable and pretty reliable for second hand purchase. Both look exactly the same in vertical space saving format. Both are very popular models and Asuswrt-Merlin firmware supported.

Thank you to all of you for all your kind advice.

Cleaning out all the ports has completely solved the problem. Completely solid connections again now.

It’s great finding a forum where everyone is so polite and helpful.

Thank you all again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!