What's new

RT-AC1200G+ stability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nunod

New Around Here
I use both RT-AC1200 and RT-AC1200g+ on access point mode, and a separate router. The g+ used to be the one mostly used, but has been acting up for several months (wifi drops, refusing to connect). Never having to time to property troubleshoot it got away with the ocasional restart, until I decided to exchange one by the other.
Must to my surprise the RT-AC1200 seems rock solid, and shows very little cpu consumption and variation (although I do miss the gigabit part).
I have flashed the g+ with the latest fw several times, restore factory defaults and even tried NVRAM clean (cant figure out the behaviour difference from fd), but it is still showing massive cpu spikes (up to 50% on one core) that seem to have a few minutes of cadence. Entirely different behaviour from the RT-AC1200. And this is using one wifi connected device and not pushing massive data transferes.
One thing I notice is that opening the asus router android app monitoring causes a massive spi e in cpu on the g+ but not on the RT-AC1200.
Any sugestions are wellcome.
Thanks

I use both RT-AC1200 and RT-AC1200g+ on access point mode, and a separate router. The g+ used to be the one mostly used, but has been acting up for several months (wifi drops, refusing to connect). Never having to time to property troubleshoot it got away with the ocasional restart, until I decided to exchange one by the other.
Must to my surprise the RT-AC1200 seems rock solid, and shows very little cpu consumption and variation (although I do miss the gigabit part).
I have flashed the g+ with the latest fw several times, restore factory defaults and even tried NVRAM clean (cant figure out the behaviour difference from fd), but it is still showing massive cpu spikes (up to 50% on one core) that seem to have a few minutes of cadence. Entirely different behaviour from the RT-AC1200. And this is using one wifi connected device and not pushing massive data transferes.
One thing I notice is that opening the asus router android app monitoring causes a massive spi e in cpu on the g+ but not on the RT-AC1200.
Any sugestions are wellcome.
Thanks

You've flashed and reset. Hopefully you did not restore saved settings. The router is acting odd... another router works fine. I would assume it's broke and cut my loses.

OE

Never restored old settings, kept mostly defaults. AP mode does not have many settings, apart from pro wireless. It really does not seem hw related, but I have ran out of ideias.

Never restored old settings, kept mostly defaults. AP mode does not have many settings, apart from pro wireless. It really does not seem hw related, but I have ran out of ideias.

Could the cable (or site router?) to the AP have a transmission issue that only exhibits when running at Gigabit speed?

OE

Not likely, wired gigabit transfers were never an issue.

One issue I have ocassionally is similar to the one below:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r...-password-that-is-not-really-incorrect.41399/

Summary:
o Was working
o Problem did not arrive with new firmware
o CPU spiking
o Trouble authenticating WiFi client
o Replacement AP works ok on same network with same clients, but not using Gigabit speed

Failing hardware would be my assessment, for what it's worth. :)

OE

I am not so sure the problem did not arrive with new firmware.
Again I do lean towards a sw related issue. something is causing way too much cpu consumption and flooding cause other failures. I notuced that enabling https gui is taking a large toll, more than 20% on top

I am not so sure the problem did not arrive with new firmware.
Again I do lean towards a sw related issue. something is causing way too much cpu consumption and flooding cause other failures. I notuced that enabling https gui is taking a large toll, more than 20% on top

I would keep the default HTTP access.

Can you downgrade the firmware?

OE

Nice tip guys.
Did a fw downgrade using the gui (from FW_RT_AC1200GPlus_300438251610 to FW_RT_AC1200Gplus_300438251129), then a factory initialize. It was much better (cpu usage quite similar to RT-AC1200).
Then I ran my chances and ended up doing a fw update to latest 51610.
It is looking good (and the app is not bothering me to upgrade fw).
Will be swapping both routers and doing a try. Fingers crossed I can come back in a few days and report all is good.
:)
Many thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!