What's new

RT-AC1900P - Client List Issues on 384.14/384.14_2

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StOrmCatz

New Around Here
It recently came to my attention that my router was behaving like QOS was no longer activated (lag in games when there are steaming devices actively using the connection). After investigating, I found out that QOS was still enabled, but the number of devices connected were not correctly displayed in the client list. I could have 10 active clients, but only 5 were being reported. It almost seemed like the client list just become stuck/read-only as some devices that were no longer connected were still being displayed as active in the client list.

I'm hoping this thread can serve two purposes
1. Advisory to others in case others are experiencing this issue with the client list or are wondering why QOS doesn't seem to be working as expected
2. Advisory to RMerlin that there appears to be a regression in 384.14/384.14_2 at least for the RT-AC1900P. I'm assuming something was changed by Asus as GPL 384_81049 mentioned a bugfix of "Fixed Network map client list issues". As of Merlin 384.14, it's on an even newer GPL which would include the noted change

For those wondering how I came to this conclusion. Here are my troubleshooting steps:
1. I was on 384.14 when I first noticed the stuck client list
2. Initiated a reboot, all clients were displaying correctly again
3. Issue reoccurred after 24 hours
4. Noticed 384.14_2 was available. Upgraded firmware
5. After 48 hours, issue reoccurred
6. Performed a factory default reset (with initialize all settings), and reconfigured all settings (I don't use any scripts or third party modules)
7. After 24 hours, issue reoccurred
8. Downgraded back to 384.13
9. Performed factory default reset (with initialize all settings), and once again reconfigured all settings
10. No issues for a little over a week now.

Last edited:
I have a RT-1900p unit with the 384.14_2 firmware and I have noticed improved performance between this firmware and 384.13. My internet speed seems much smoother.

• I do have FreshJr script loaded and have QOS setup to provide priority to VoIP, then gaming, then web, then other apps I can’t remember.
  • I also make sure to make use of fq-codel QOS discipline as the other options don’t have as good performance in my opinion.
  • I also made sure to set the download to the max my service provides and the upload to about 90 percent of max upload speed as measured 3 times using dslreport speed test.
  • I use adaptive qos and manual settings.

Perhaps some of this information may help you with the newer firmware on this device.

I have a RT-1900p unit with the 384.14_2 firmware and I have noticed improved performance between this firmware and 384.13. My internet speed seems much smoother.

• I do have FreshJr script loaded and have QOS setup to provide priority to VoIP, then gaming, then web, then other apps I can’t remember.
  • I also make sure to make use of fq-codel QOS discipline as the other options don’t have as good performance in my opinion.
  • I also made sure to set the download to the max my service provides and the upload to about 90 percent of max upload speed as measured 3 times using dslreport speed test.
  • I use adaptive qos and manual settings.

Perhaps some of this information may help you with the newer firmware on this device.
Thanks for your input. Do you experience any issues with the client list not showing an accurate representation of devices connected to your router?

To provide some additional context into my configuration, I'm using traditional QOS with fq_codal. I'm simply setting the gaming machines to get the highest priority

Thanks for your input. Do you experience any issues with the client list not showing an accurate representation of devices connected to your router?

To provide some additional context into my configuration, I'm using traditional QOS with fq_codal. I'm simply setting the gaming machines to get the highest priority
I have not noticed any issues with the client list. Have you tried switching from traditional QOS to adaptive QOS? I also recommend trying the FreshJR QOS script to see if that might work?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!