What's new

RT-AC1900P speedtest

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MisterX

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a Gigabit Fibe connection for my Bell Home Hub 2000 modem and have connected the RT-AC1900P to it to use as my main wireless router (not access point). Using Speedtest from the HH2000 shows that I'm getting my 940 MBps. I would have thought that by having a wired connecting the ASUS router, if I did the Speedtest from within the ASUS router management site (inside Adaptive QoS, Internet Speed), I also would have been able to get the same speeds. However, I'm maxing out at 350-400 MBps? This also happens to be what I'm maxing out at using a wireless device.

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my setup?

try to connect to your AC1900P with ethernet to LAN port and test again. The router itself may not have enough CPU to test 1Gbit speedtest.

If you're using AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, and/or other features, this is expected behavior.

You need to turn off all those options and also revoke the consent to using those services in the Administration, Privacy tab.

You will also need to reboot the router too afterward.

With the above completed and having waited at least 10 to 15 minutes for the router to settle after rebooting, the speeds you get will be the most the hardware is capable of.

try to connect to your AC1900P with ethernet to LAN port and test again. The router itself may not have enough CPU to test 1Gbit speedtest.
Connected my laptop directly to LAN port on AC1900P, ran Speedtest on browser and got 700-800 MBps which makes a lot more sense. So, it's perhaps what you said about the router itself not having the juice itself to test 1Gbit? Picking up a GT-AC2900 later today and will test that out. Planning to use the AC1900P as AIMesh node since there are deadspots in my home.

Connected my laptop directly to LAN port on AC1900P, ran Speedtest on browser and got 700-800 MBps which makes a lot more sense. So, it's perhaps what you said about the router itself not having the juice itself to test 1Gbit? Picking up a GT-AC2900 later today and will test that out. Planning to use the AC1900P as AIMesh node since there are deadspots in my home.
Not really, I guess (I don't own this router, but from online reviews) the router itself is perfectly fine to handle 1Gbit Internet. your wired connection already give u 800 mbps. if you make sure you turn off QoS and hardware acceleration is on, then your 1900P should have no problem handle Gigabit internet. The SpeedTest client software is the problem. I'm not sure what sw it used in asus QoS. But even on my linux VPS (a single core 2.4Ghz vCPU) with regular python speedtest cli, it can't even handle Gigabit internet test (bouncing between 200mbps to 1Gigabit and mostly result in < 400 mbps), switch to C++ speedtest cli, I can get 10Gigabit result (my VPS hosting has 10Gigabit internet). Even on my mac, if I use this c++ client, I can get over 310mbps speed test, but both speedtest.net or DSL speed test max out 270mbps result for me.

350 to 400 Mbps over WiFi sounds about right

I also have the RT-AC1900P, running Asuswrt-Merlin v380.70. it's been our primary router for several years, we're still using it with Bell's symmetric fibre to the home (same as what you have). The 1900P is basically an RT-AC68U with a faster CPU. i'm attaching a few screen captures of speed tests i did earlier with a wired laptop, an iPhone 11 and iPhone 6. for the wireless tests, i was only a few metres away from the 1900P. as you can see, wired speeds through our RT-AC1900P easily reach a sustained 940Mbps in both directions. The laptop I used for the wired test is connected to a Netgear switch; the switch connects to a LAN port on the 1900P over a 15 metre CAT 6 cable. however, if QoS is enabled on the router, then all bets are off. ime, QoS misclassifies the type of traffic more often than not, and needlessly throttles when it shouldn't. so make sure QoS is disabled if you want to achieve the full line speed of your fibre connection. if you want to use QoS, and need it to work semi-correctly, then I'd recommend manually setting the Upload & Download Bandwidth to about 85 to 90 percent of your maximum rate (940Mbps x .85 = 800Mbps), which allows enough overhead for QoS to do its job. but still, QoS doesn't always classify the traffic correctly, so i don't use it anymore.

it's too bad about that Home Hub 2000 Bell gave you. Bell wanted to give us a HH3000, i said no way, our ONT (Optical Network Terminal) works perfectly fine, thank you very much. the ONT allows me to connect a router of my choosing directly to a port on the ONT and build out our LAN from there. one caveat though, Bell uses VLAN tagging to differentiate b/w IPTV and Internet traffic, so your router must support VLAN tagging. The 1900P does support tagging (LAN - IPTV configuration page). Bell uses VLAN ID 35 for Internet traffic.

in summary, your AC1900P speeds look similar to mine. the wifi channel(s) you select can often make a noticeable difference in speed & latency, depending on what channels and bandwidth neighbouring networks are using at the time.

SpeedTest-Wired-Laptop.png

IMG_1703.png

IMG_1034.png