What's new

RT-AC3100 2.4GHz Woes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PhilD

New Around Here
I've recently encountered an issue where I can't connect to my 2.4 network on a new ASUS RT-AC3100.

Out of the box I know everything was fine, but sometime after upgrading my firmware to merlin I noticed I couldn't connect to the 2.4GHz network.

I've tried everything I could imagine to fix it:
  • Restored the latest official ASUS firmware (including an nvram erase via SSH on both sides of the change)
  • Installed DD-WRT (with an SSH nvram erase and a hardware reset on both sides of the firmware change)
  • Used the latest Merlin Beta1 (same drill as above)
  • Used an open network (no password) and a WPA2-AES password encrypted network
In all cases, on multiple computers (a linux box, windows 10, and a couple of android phones), the device tries to connect, then just fails to connect. No error messages anyplace I could find...

At a bit of a loss where to go next.

EDIT: Nuked false file and set to actual one.

Attachments

• PhilD-3100-syslog_01.txt
    754.8 KB · Views: 620
Last edited:
I have been running multiple versions of merlin FW and my wireless has been good. I did have wireless issues with DD-WRT mostly with the 5G not liking to stay connected on certain channels and then when the 5G would be acting up the 2.4G would not connect requiring a router reboot. since ive been running the merlin FW on my 3100 my wireless has been good. sorry this isnt much help, just posting that i have a working 3100 running

Did the wireless ever work correctly?
have you changed any other wireless setting besides the basics?
could something be interfering with the channel the router is using, mybe try setting one manually

I've recently encountered an issue where I can't connect to my 2.4 network on a new ASUS RT-AC3100.

Out of the box I know everything was fine, but sometime after upgrading my firmware to merlin I noticed I couldn't connect to the 2.4GHz network.

I've tried everything I could imagine to fix it:
  • Restored the latest official ASUS firmware (including an nvram erase via SSH on both sides of the change)
  • Installed DD-WRT (with an SSH nvram erase and a hardware reset on both sides of the firmware change)
  • Used the latest Merlin Beta1 (same drill as above)
  • Used an open network (no password) and a WPA2-AES password encrypted network
In all cases, on multiple computers (a linux box, windows 10, and a couple of android phones), the device tries to connect, then just fails to connect. No error messages anyplace I could find...

At a bit of a loss where to go next.

That system log shows the boot log of an RT-AC68U, not an RT-AC3100...

Did you flash the correct model?

I know things were working with at least 99% of my present config. Part of the reason I nuked my configs by resetting so completely (in web ui, via ssh, and hardware).
Frankly I figured I did something stupid, but after so many resets and firmware versions.... not sure where to go next.

I know things were working with at least 99% of my present config. Part of the reason I nuked my configs by resetting so completely (in web ui, via ssh, and hardware).
Frankly I figured I did something stupid, but after so many resets and firmware versions.... not sure where to go next.

Flash the proper firmware model. You currently have an RT-AC68U firmware on an RT-AC3100 - that definitely won't work.

I checked everything I had my hands on, all comes back as RT-AC3100. I couldn't find any lines in the syslog I uploaded that mentions the RT-AC68U. Only "RT-AC3100: start httpd - SSL"
Perhaps you didn't look at my syslog?

I was scrolling through the log you posted again and see the RT-AC68U: start httpd towards the bottom

Line 205 of the syslog you attached.....
Aug 1 00:00:20 RT-AC68U: start httpd

Just went through the logs on my router and see

20:00:19 dnsmasq[484]: warning: interface ppp1* does not currently exist
20:00:19 RT-AC3100: start httpd - SSL
20:00:19 RT-AC3100: start httpd

Ahh. Must be a board bug. My actual syslog isn't that file. Reattached.

EDIT: Checked the new uploaded file... it's correct. Unique filename FTW.

Attachments

• PhilD-3100-syslog_01.txt
    754.8 KB · Views: 529
Fresh flash of a fresh download of the RT-AC3100_380.60_beta1.trx. Attached is the syslog. Still failing to connect to 2.4GHz.

Thought: Perhaps have the save button output syslog_datetimesecond_FirmwareVerson.txt A little long, but could reduce issues in the future. Add the device's hardware ID perhaps too? Anyhow... just thinking aloud.

Razor237 - Any chance you use the firmware config backup tool? I'd kill to get a copy of your config. I'd happily test a config that's known to be working.

Attachments

• PhilD-3100-syslog_02.txt
    349.9 KB · Views: 706
im having the same issue cannot connect to my 2.4 devices. disengaged firewall still nothing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!