What's new

RT-AC3100 Console Gaming Question.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pinkfloyd1173

So I am trying out this new router, so far not that many issues other than the GUI being a bit buggy, running Asus FW 380.858.

My question is this, is there anyone here using this router with a PS4 or Xbox one. When you run a speed test on your console what speeds are you getting? I use to have the AC87R and when I ran a speed test on my PS4 I would always get about 45 to 50 down and 12 to 15 up, thats with QOS enabled.

Now with this new router and having QOS and Game Boost enabled I get about 15 down and 8 to 9 up? I also have noticed when looking and the bandwidth meter the up and down speeds do not flucuate like it did on the AC87R, they stay at a very even pace.

Now from what I have read on on the wtfast web site, wtfast still does not support console yet, I guess this app is still in beta. Now the lan boost I can not really find anymore info other then the asus web site about this feature.

I also tried yesterday to download a digtal game from the psn store and was worried that with the down load speed I was getting on the ps4 that it would take a few hours to download a game. I download Shadows Of Mordor and to my amazement it took 12 minutes to download, with the AC87R it was at least 45 minutes. I tried another game, bf4 with all it DLC and that took 25 minutes with all its DLC.

So I am tying to get just some peoples experiences if they are using this new router with a gaming console, what settings are you using. Are you guys having a good experience with the router.

I would also like to add that playing BO3 on 3 ps4's in the house hold all have Open NAT, this is funny because only one ps4 is in the dmz. People who play bo3 will understand why having Open Nat on that game really helps at times.

Thanks.

I actually just picked up a 3100 today, and I have an xbox one connected to it. I'm on the same firmware build as you, with Comcast business 50/10. With Adaptive QoS off, I hit 55/13, with it on and set to where I usually set QoS (48/8), it hits 46/7.6. The xbox is connected via 5GHz wlan.

I actually just picked up a 3100 today, and I have an xbox one connected to it. I'm on the same firmware build as you, with Comcast business 50/10. With Adaptive QoS off, I hit 55/13, with it on and set to where I usually set QoS (48/8), it hits 46/7.6. The xbox is connected via 5GHz wlan.

I see, I play alot of bf4 and the game has been running really good since I have gotten this router. These new features of game boost is working some how, I downloaded another game the new battle front and it took 15 mins to fully download, which is weird since I am showing a low download and up load speed. I have TWC 300 down and 20 up, with QOS enabled and game boost enabled I get 354 down and 25 to 28 up, using my gaming rig, also tried this on my laptop and about the same speeds.

From what I can see this game boot feature is working in a very weird way, but its working. I wish they would release some info on this feature other than the info on the web site, not much is said there about it.

Thanks for the reply man.

Game Boost has zero effect on game downloads. It's only meant to improve latency when playing online games with one of the supported games.

Game Boost has zero effect on game downloads. It's only meant to improve latency when playing online games with one of the supported games.

Thanks for the reply Merlin, but what games are supported, it would be nice for Asus to show a list or something?

Thanks for the reply Merlin, but what games are supported, it would be nice for Asus to show a list or something?

You will have to check the WTFast website, they're the ones supporting specific games, not Asus.

correct me if i'm wrong, i though game boost and wtfast are two different things, game boost just a qos priority your gaming flow on the network and wftfast help improve sever connection of games.

correct me if i'm wrong, i though game boost and wtfast are two different things, game boost just a qos priority your gaming flow on the network and wftfast help improve sever connection of games.

Game Boost is the marketing name Asus used to include both technologies. The QoS part is merely a preset for the existing Adaptive QoS, and the game accelerator is WTFast.

Thanks for the reply Merlin.

I had the AC87R and now have the AC3100. With the AC87R my xbox one was getting anywhere from 35-50 down and about 12-15 up on the AC3100 I get closer to 50 down and 14-16 up and that is on the 5GHz band. The problem I have with this is that my connection speed is 155/15 so I am getting the upload just no where near the download speed. Every other device gets the full download speed plus some. It usually runs closer to 170-180 down and 19-20 up. The xbox is the closest device to the router too.

I had the AC87R and now have the AC3100. With the AC87R my xbox one was getting anywhere from 35-50 down and about 12-15 up on the AC3100 I get closer to 50 down and 14-16 up and that is on the 5GHz band. The problem I have with this is that my connection speed is 155/15 so I am getting the upload just no where near the download speed. Every other device gets the full download speed plus some. It usually runs closer to 170-180 down and 19-20 up. The xbox is the closest device to the router too.[/Q

M$ & $ony are throtting the internet speed you have. I have 300 down and 20 up on my laptops and gaming rigs I always get higher speeds then this but always get good speed tests.

You're only gonna get the speeds that the gaming server allows you to. I'm not running the 88U yet but with my 68P and a 200 Mbps download I only get 40-50 Mbps download on Sony's server. Speed tests on my laptop and cell phone give me the full 200 Mbps.

^^^^ Agree

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!