What's new

RT-AC3100 with 386.4 Speed test now has higher than 0.00% packet loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tazzin

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys,

I'm only guessing but since I upgraded my Asus RT-AC3100 to 386.4 version (Jan 3rd) all the speed test I have ran has a 'higher than' 0.00% packet loss.. Ranging from 2.2 to 100% packet loss.. Now when I execute from https://packetlosstest.com/.. I get 0.00% packet loss or by using CMD line to run a ping.. etc.. this only shows in 386.4 version...

Has anyone ran across this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Ok guys,

This is verified. 386.4 has issues.. I just rolled back to 386.3_2 and executed the speed test. 0.00% packet lost on very first test.. 386.4 had issues and who knows what other issues are introduced on this version...

So, a reporting issue is enough for you to roll back to an insecure (for today) version?

Did you at least test the latest firmware by flashing and then doing a full/proper reset (without using a saved backup config file afterward)?

To answer your second question, YES!, i have done a full AND proper reset of my equipment and the ISP's equipment to try and resolve that issue. IT WASN'T RESOLVED. ;)

As far as the first question goes, not sure how to take your statement. Do I take a chance on keep using on something that was working perfect before but has issues now, even if I 'so far' have only seen it in a 'reporting' issue? Or do I roll back to what was working prior without ANY issues and just test next version to come out?? HMM.. for the sack of not running into any issues, YES a roll back is warranted as I work from home and can't afford to play with trying to figure out why router is causing issues. ;)... I have a VERY LONG STORY to fill you in on if we start down that road. ;)..

But, the only issue is a 'reporting' issue, is it not? You haven't stated that it affected anything else on your network.

Firmware is disposable. It has a best before date (and that date is when new firmware is introduced). The internet is a moving target, if you don't also move along, you'll be left far behind.

Again, if you're serious about your network (and you seem to be), I would flash to the latest firmware and make sure I followed the suggestions below. If any issues or concerns arise afterward, the forum is open to your questions to fix things then.

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Fully Reset Router and Network

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

Hey L&LD,

I normally stay up with firmware updates, I'm not a Network 'GURU' but I am in IT so I do know the values of staying up to date with technology and somewhat of the networking home user type setup.

And the reason I haven't stated that it has affected anything else on the firmware is because I have JUST upgraded and saw that issue and began troubleshooting that packet loss by going to online packet loss testers, running CMD PING functions, resets, restores, etc. But, not enough time to know if anything else if affected as I was working with that trying to figure that piece out first. And with me being in IT (Performance Tester), probably my downfall in the networking world ;), when one piece of code is affected, it can affect other areas OR other areas of code may have not been QA'd as well as it should. I guess now you know where I get that from. I mean no disrespect, obviously you know tons more than me on networking, and appreciative of your help, but maybe leave the demeaning comments out and just post helpful information which is what these posts are for ;). Like what you did for that AX88 guy. ;)

Please note I have done resets to all my equipment but NOT to level of what you have described here... Fully Reset Router and Network. But I have unplugged the hardware from power and data. Your process is very time consuming but will try to get this asap and report back and honestly I'm a little taken back at this extreme type of reset this is for something that should be pretty automated since how we 'all this technology' ;). But I also have other things going like a 4 wheeler i'm having to replace a cam in and family to contend with. You know 'LIFE' hahahaahah.

I do have another question/observation, if I haven't made you mad by now ;). Per your information for the guy with that AX88, there is some obvious issues with packet loss 'somewhere' in his multiple versions the he indicated... So my roll back shows it fixed my issue but his issue persisted through several versions for the AX88. One indication of his issue was the ISP might be the culprit. But it appears he switched ISPs and that appears to have fixed his issue(s).

SO with all that being stated, I have 386.4 installed (still showing packet losses). I will perform the 18 step 'full reset' to my network. Not looking forward to this as it is very time consuming. BUT to appease the powers that be, I'll do this and post my results :D. Please note, that I have ALL wifi connections mostly 5ghz, about 3 items are 2.4ghz, (21 devices or so) no hard lines other than the WAN connection from Rise Broadband ( I know, but Rise is the ONLY thing around me). None of this should matter because when I use 386.3_2 (or prior versions) it works without indicating packet loss. I've roll back and upgrade a couple times now. Each with same results.. 386.3_2 shows 0.00% packet loss... 386.4 always shows packet losses. Even https://packetlosstest.com/ show 0.00 % packet loss with both versions... same for PINGs etc.... Anyway, as soon as I get this process complete, I'll reply back. Might take some time as there is a surgery coming up for family member very soon.

Thanks in advance

Hey L&LD,

I have a side question for you. I just did a look up on current routers available.. It appears that the AX models are much more 'stocked' than the AC models. Would it worth while to get an AX model and if so, which would you suggest? Something comparable or slightly better/faster than the AC3100 I have now? I know that AX utilizes the wifi 6 technology and only a laptop or 2 (work and personal) supports that but aside from that.. What do you think?

Again,
thanks in advance

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

The RT-AC3100 was a great router, but the current models indicated in the link above should easily prove superior.

If you do consider an RT-AX68U or RT-AX86U, leave the RT-AC3100 as-is and follow the suggestions above on the new router.

I apologize if you took any of my comments as demeaning. They certainly were not meant to be. Looking back at my previous replies, I don't see how you got that impression?

Note that while that nuclear reset may seem daunting, it is not time-consuming at all to get back to a working network (at least, initially). I wouldn't expect it to be more than 15 to 20 minutes, (30 minutes tops, for someone doing it the first time). Leaving the ISP equipment unplugged may take longer, sure, but this is why this is 'nuclear'. Nothing old is allowed to live. Neither are we making assumptions about anything in the old network. A true 'best practice setup'.

The same timeline will be true for the new router too. Just because it's new, doesn't mean we can let things slide (or take for granted).

My apologies for misinterpreting this statement:
"a reporting issue is enough for you to roll back to an insecure (for today) version?"

I took it a as statement of rolling back to a insecure as stupid move based on the way it was worded. So my apologies for misinterpreting that.

I was actually looking at the Asus AX88U. I use Plex inside my home LAN, do you think this will be a good selection for my home LAN streaming needs?? Based on the specs, it should be.. Again, all my devices connect via wifi and I have 21+ devices that connect. Like 1 printer, 3 or 4 laptops, 1 desktop, 3 phones, Xbox, PS4, 4 firestick, 2 TV's, thermostat, rainbird controller. I know that not all devices are compatible, and actually only 2 laptops are AX compliant at moment. But if I can stay up with tech, I will if I can.

Again thanks in advance for your expertise information.

Last edited:
I would suggest the RT-AX86U or even the RT-AX68U (depending on the ISP speeds anticipated before you may want to upgrade again) over the much older RT-AX88U today.

The RT-AX88U has extra latency (noticeable to many without measuring) vs the other routers.

And, the other routers are usually much cheaper.

Thanks L&LD, i don't mind spending a little bit extra if it means getting a 'solid' router. But I will take a hard look at the AX68 and AX86. Being i have a LOT strictly WIFI connections.. PLUS i stream within my LAN with Plex and Jellyfin, I'm looking for the best i can with that type of LAN setup. I'm going to start researching these 2 and see if I can come to a conclusion.. Also I have Rise Broadband, i know, don't say, it is the ONLY thing around me in the boonies I have that is available to provide me internet.. I'm 'SUPPOSED' to be getting 30 down minimum, but due to tower congestion and frequency interference, I'm only getting like 20 to 25 on a VERY GOOD DAY.. average is more like 10 down 5 up.. Which I'm the reason they are putting up another 80' tower 1.2 mile south of me to help the congestion issue but this tower line of sight cuts into the first 3 or so feet into my neighbors house which may or may not work for me. That is the WHOLE OTHER STORY i mentioned that is about 1.5 years worth of story I mentioned..

Hate to ask this but would a Netgear router be as good or better? Again, I'm just looking for the most reliable router router that will provide the most reliable function.

Thanks again..

Would a Netgear router be as good or better? Well, yes and no. Netgear makes good consumer routers but they really lack tweaks that many of us like. There is custom firmware for some Netgear routers but it is not as great as Merlin! It also seems Netgear does not provide firmware upgrades as long as Asus.
For me and my house, we will stick with Asus. This AX86U is my fourth Asus router. While my first router, a WRT54G, served well, the N66U was a real step up.

Ok guys, I took the plunge, I turned in my RT-AC3100 and got the RT-AX86U. Thank you guys for your help and information.. I definitely learned more on what do and look for during this little journey. I'm just waiting for the router to show up here at the house in a few days and get it installed and reconfigured. ;)..

Just a quick update.. even with the RT-AX86U with the latest 'ASUS' firmware installed... when I was trying to see which device was using the bandwidth, the indication of 'usage' was not displaying well at all.. So a speed test from my wifi desktop was not registering the usage amount in Bandwidth Monitor. So I STILL believe ASUS's firmware still has issues, even after multiple reboots & config changes etc.... but after installing Merlin's 386.4, it started working perfectly. This is just for information ;).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!