What's new

RT-AC3200 Antenna

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eusriso

Occasional Visitor
Looking at the RT-AC3200 manual page 124 it shows a table that has the frequency and what I believe is the gain for each antenna. 3.47 dbi is the max gain. If I buy 6 dual band 7dbi antennas should I see an increase in range/speed? I will likely get 6 of each:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833998199&ignorebbr=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833998200

I will use the stands to elevate the antennas to a higher shelf in my office and to spread out the antennas.

Please let me know if this will increase my range/speed by using a higher dbi antenna.

Tried 5dBi antennas with bad results

I tried a set of Super Power Supply 5dBi antennas and the wireless became very unstable with a lot of disconnects. My iPad would not maintain a 5GHz connection.

I would be careful here. The radios are probably tuned (impedance matched) for the 3.5dBi stock antennas and changing them would affect that.

I find the wireless range and stability to be quite good with the stock antennas. You should probably leave well enough alone.

I have been able to "tune" my wireless signals by adjusting the antenna placement and have settled on an orientation that provides good strength and stability. I tilted the middle two antennas back to 45 degrees and the side antennas straight up because my router is in the basement. The two outside back antennas are at 60 degrees. It does make a difference.

Remember that the antennas are omni-directional and the signal is strongest around the antenna in a doughnut shape. Keep this in mind when positioning the antennas.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!