What's new

RT-AC3200 - can I selective route (split) traffic on the VPN client so Apple TV will always work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldserverguy

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to make my network more secure by upgrading from my stable but very, very old Linksys routers running DD-WRT. Have a number of Windows workstations, MAC mini, Raspberry Pi based security cameras and network printers. The rub is the Apple TVs both a 4th generation and a 4K. I can get them to work with a VPN client on the AC1300 RT-ACRH13 that I have but I really don't want to not run this traffic over the VPN and who knows how long it will work. If I can selective route/split-tunnel/policy-based route the Apple boxes to my telco and run everything else on a VPN I would be happy (and so would my wife).

ASUS customer service can't tell me if with the current stock firmware 3.0.0.4.382.50624 if I can do this. So can I? Of course I've read about Merlin but I'd prefer to stay the the vendor's firmware if I can. I'll do Merlin if that's the only solution. Is there a better router choice?

Stock firmware does not support split tunnels.

Thanks - not sure why support can't just tell me that.

From what I see Merlin is the solution. Agree?

Is the RT-AC3200 a good choice (we have low internet connection speed)?

From what I see Merlin is the solution. Agree?

My firmware does support split tunnels.

Is the RT-AC3200 a good choice (we have low internet connection speed)?

Depends on your needs. The RT-AC3200 CPU can handle around 40-50 Mbps of OpenVPN traffic (depending on the cipher). It's also unsure at this time what lies in the future from Asus for that model, as it's getting less frequent updates than newer models.