What's new

rt-ac3200 cant load Merlin firmware after stock firmware upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rev

New Around Here
Hi All

was having some issues with the wifi on merlin firmware the 2nd 5G band was only giving me ~170Mbps link being 2-3m away from the router(1st 5G was giving me 866Mbps on my laptop which is 2x2) with the latest release of merlin 380.68_4, reset to factory defualts didn't help and I thought I'd go back to the stock firmware for the time being.

When I checked the asus website they had a new firmware released about 2 weeks ago RT-AC3200_3.0.0.4_382_18338-g8b11203 which has a bunch of fixes including KRACK fix etc but which is now removed from their website :(

The problem is with the stock firmware when I have my chromecast connected 1st or 2nd gen and there is any kind of load on the wifi it stops connecting clients and constantly reconnecting its an endless cycle restarting fixes it for a few min and it begins again to drop clients.

Now if I load any firmware except the latest one which asus has removed from their website I cant even access the web interface

Any help greatly appreciated if there is a way I can go back to merlin firmware

edit: forgot to note tried downgrading firmware via the webUI as well as the asus firmware restoration utility

Last edited:
yes that was the tool I tried after spending hours last night I was finally able to get it to boot and work for the most part 2nd 5G band doesn't work but its stable so far, restarting it doesn't seem to get it to bootloop.

for anyone else who has the same problem I got dd-wrt to work on it from https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewt...start=75&sid=4e2a0bfed57d2e6df83511e3cf238566 about 2/3rds down a link by Malachi for the ac3200 and then firmware for netgear R8000 seem to have the same hardware, I'll post it in the thread you linked hopefully it will help others, I'm tempted to try merlin firmware again but will test this for a few days and them try merlin if it still doesnt work I can go back to ddwrt atleast

edit: even after setting up wifi security I had to reboot to get clients to connect to the wifi

Last edited:
I had the same problem and after speaking with Asus tech support I had my router replaced. I suspect there are some major issues with the 382 firmware for the 3200 hence they pulled it. I would speak to Asus support and try to get the router replaced, in the UK at least they told me there is a 3 year warranty on the device.

I have one simple rule :

if it isn't developed by Merlin it ain't going on my router. I stay away from the bug ridden Asus official releases having been burned before.

krack ...... you don't need to upgrade unless you use the router in AP mode so wait for Merlin's release.

krack ...... you don't need to upgrade unless you use the router in AP mode so wait for Merlin's release.

I don't understand this. The following is an advisory from ASUS reference Krack:

10/31/2017 Update on security advisory for the vulnerability of WPA2 protocol
ASUS is working closely with chipset suppliers to resolve the vulnerability in the WPA2 security protocol, which affects some but not all ASUS products (check the list below). KRACK can exploit the vulnerability only under certain conditions highlighted in the previous update. Your network configuration is more secure when under these conditions:

(1) Routers and gateways working in their default mode (Router Mode) and AP Mode.
(2) Range extenders working in AP Mode.
(3) When Powerline adapters and switch products are used.

AndreiV your statement about AP mode is contradictory to what ASUS has advised.

Repeater and Media Bridge modes are vulnerable. AP and Router aren't.

if it isn't developed by Merlin it ain't going on my router
well given the problem I had with merlin firmware I thought I'd go official firmware till next merlin firmware release and that was a big mistake, my router is completely dead now :(