What's new

RT-AC3200 Overclocking Benefits

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shez

Regular Contributor
What benefits would I see if I overclocked this router? I'm guessing it doesn't affect wireless performance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same but I see people on here overclocking theirs and it's made me wonder why. I've tried searching but nothing's really concrete - there must be some reason that people want to squeeze that extra 200-400mhz out of their routers.

Well partly it is in the nature of techies to do such things, people like to tinker and while it perhaps improves UI performance etc. it probably isn't going to be easily noticeable and the core functions such as wireless performance would probably remain unchanged.

Overclocking will benefit people who have a fast Internet connection but cannot use NAT acceleration, VPN users, and people sharing a USB 3.0 disk through their router.

Thanks - I have a 160mb connection and use a USB 3.0 disk to share data. How much of an improvement do people usually see with a 200-400mhz overclock?

Thanks - I have a 160mb connection and use a USB 3.0 disk to share data. How much of an improvement do people usually see with a 200-400mhz overclock?

You first need to have some cooling for your router like a laptop fan. Overclocking linearly increases throughput as the AC3200 is better designed than the AC87U for WAN. so a 400Mhz overclock gives a 40% increase in speeds.

Keep your CPU below 80 and your wifi chips below 50 for long lasting stability.

Hello, has finally anyone been able to overclock this router ? if so, I am *extremely* interested in having a copy of your CFE, in order to attempt it myself, since I could benefit from a speed increase in my shared USB3 disks, plus my router is quite well ventilated. I have the 2.0.0.3 CFE one, but this one is non overclockable..

.. yes, so it looks! but I still have hope to find someone with a different CFE version.

.. yes, so it looks! but I still have hope to find someone with a different CFE version.

Be careful. Even if you find one, it could be an easy way to brick your router.

I would be selling it and looking for a more powerful model instead.

My AC88U is 78-82 depending on the ambient temp
so 82 at 1400 is normal

You first need to have some cooling for your router like a laptop fan. Overclocking linearly increases throughput as the AC3200 is better designed than the AC87U for WAN. so a 400Mhz overclock gives a 40% increase in speeds.

Keep your CPU below 80 and your wifi chips below 50 for long lasting stability.

Hi, just a brief update, for the record. Last year I had been able to finally flash an overclockable CFE into this RT-AC3200 router (1.0.1.5) and I had been running overclocked without problems to 1200,800 since (almost around a year). Temps were 70-80 C depending on usage. Note that I had not tested higher overclock then because I did not feel comfortable with higher temps than those.

Yesterday I went one step further and added a USB fan blowing from the underside and temps were reduced to 45-50 C, so I attempted and achieved 1400,800 overclock.... temps are 45-55 C and it has been running like this for the last 14 hours. We'll see if stability holds, but for the moment, everything looks good.

Regarding USB3 performance, I have been able to achieve 60/50MB per sec (R/W) where I was at about 58/47 before (at 1200). I am running a HGGs firmware 380.65.6 which is based on Merlin 380.65.4.

Last edited:
@FTC what was the process for the dodgy process of updating the CFE? I'm with 2.0.0.3 (EU) and would quite like to get overclock enabled - if only for future use. (caveats/warnings aside). I'm rather wary of updating with non-EU bootloader which could affect channels etc, or indeed with going backwards in bootloader versions in case there are HW updates in current revisions that might need any changes.

If a AC-68p had been available I might have got that, but went with the 3200 due to 1 Ghz proc -- with the extra 5Ghz being interesting but not essential. I read that the AC-68u's are now mostly 1 Ghz anyway, and easily overclockable, so if I can't unlock I might switch. Or I might not. typical tech consternation ;-)

Hi, see my post (#43) in thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...can-not-make-it-work.31676/page-3#post-273455. The trick was to use the (V3) version of mtd_write in my case. Pick instructions and the necessary files from https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/ . Basically it is a matter of customizing the 'generic' CFE with your router's data (MAC address and WPS password), making sure you do not add/remove bytes to the file, and flashing with the mentioned command.

In my case I used a US CFE and did not add risk by making it EU, since I was using hggomes that already has all channels unlocked.

Note that this is a risky operation that could brick your router if done wrongly. do it at your own risk.

By the way, I can certify now and after 10 days that my 1400mhz are fully 100% stable, even without the cooling fan! In any case I am keeping it running at very low speed just for an added margin of reiliability.

Hi, see my post (#43) in thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/o...can-not-make-it-work.31676/page-3#post-273455. The trick was to use the (V3) version of mtd_write in my case. Pick instructions and the necessary files from https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-routers-cfe-dumps-collection.17793/ . Basically it is a matter of customizing the 'generic' CFE with your router's data (MAC address and WPS password), making sure you do not add/remove bytes to the file, and flashing with the mentioned command.

In my case I used a US CFE and did not add risk by making it EU, since I was using hggomes that already has all channels unlocked.

Note that this is a risky operation that could brick your router if done wrongly. do it at your own risk.

By the way, I can certify now and after 10 days that my 1400mhz are fully 100% stable, even without the cooling fan! In any case I am keeping it running at very low speed just for an added margin of reiliability.

I know you might think im insane but would there be a way to overclock the gt-ac5300 to lets say 2ghz. More curious then anything as i have a fast internet speed (400x45) and want to see if i see improvements in wifi or lan speeds, mostly wifi.

I know you might think im insane but would there be a way to overclock the gt-ac5300 to lets say 2ghz. More curious then anything as i have a fast internet speed (400x45) and want to see if i see improvements in wifi or lan speeds, mostly wifi.

It won't make a difference. Each wifi radio carries its own dedicated CPU.