What's new

RT-AC3200 Port Forwarding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dalebert

New Around Here
Hello.

My RT-AC3200 port forwarding isn't working. It used to work (at one point), but I think a firmware update stopped that (currently sitting at 3.0.0.4). In order to make my modem and router work together I have placed my router in the modems DMZ. I try to use transparent bridging on the modem, but the RT-AC3200 and modem don't want to work together that way.

I can ping the router from the WAN when ICMP is enabled and it times out when I disable it. So I know it's working from that stand point. But any port forwarding just simply won't work. No other firewalls are in play.

Has anyone had similar issues with their RT-AC3200 and port forwarding, or does someone have an idea on how to resolve the problem? I know you'll likely need logs or something, so let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

Post a screen shot of your port forwarding page.

P.S. The current firmware version is 3.0.0.4.382.51939.

Here you go. I didn't have anything in the port forwarding list, so I created this one quick.

Attachments

• PortForward.jpg
    PortForward.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 170
Now check that the rule is present at System Log - Port Forwarding. If it is then is should be working (assuming the PC is turned on and running terminal services).

Is RDP what you really intend to forward, or just a quick example? It’s a bad idea to me to open the firewall to RDP with all the BlueKeep vulnerabilities and active scanning by bad guys.

Is RDP what you really intend to forward, or just a quick example? It’s a bad idea to me to open the firewall to RDP with all the BlueKeep vulnerabilities and active scanning by bad guys.
Good point. It's also worth trying with the external port as something random like 28321 just in case your ISP is blocking known service ports.

Yeah, that's just an example. I can't get HTTP or anything else to work either.

Good point. It's also worth trying with the external port as something random like 28321 just in case your ISP is blocking known service ports.

I've tried switching ports for different things as well with the same results. I'll check the logs and see what I can find. I'll reply back with the results. Also, I have a static IP so there shouldn't be any blocking of ports. That's not to say it isn't happening, though. I'll check on that too, but it may have to wait until tomorrow when I can get to my ISP's support.

Well, I checked the logs and everything looked right. I stood up a new server to test with. For whatever reason, HTTP is now being forwarded as it should to the new box. RDP is not, though. Even on a different port it's not. So I think I have two distinct problems going on.

1. The old system I was trying to get to was somehow messed up and dropping the request where the new server is acting correctly.
2. RDP not working is a ISP issue. I'll have to call them. Not that I want RDP open, but it's just another avenue for testing.

Unless someone has another idea, I'll just troubleshoot more on my side with my ISP.

Thanks for the help, Everyone.

Well, I checked the logs and everything looked right. I stood up a new server to test with. For whatever reason, HTTP is now being forwarded as it should to the new box. RDP is not, though. Even on a different port it's not. So I think I have two distinct problems going on.

1. The old system I was trying to get to was somehow messed up and dropping the request where the new server is acting correctly.
2. RDP not working is a ISP issue. I'll have to call them. Not that I want RDP open, but it's just another avenue for testing.

Unless someone has another idea, I'll just troubleshoot more on my side with my ISP.

Thanks for the help, Everyone.
Make sure Windows Firewall is allowing the incoming traffic.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!