What's new

RT-AC3200 & recovery mode -- tricky

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nigel Jones

Regular Contributor
I've been experimenting with a few firmware options, but I'm finding it rather tricky to persuade my RT-3200 to go into firmware recovery mode (ie to switch between old/new firmware or different variants when an "upgrade" is blocked. I wonder if anyone has any tips/ideas

When configured normally my router is working in the 10.9.0.x subnet

My approach was initially
- connect laptop direct to port one with static ip 10.9.0.7/255.255.255.0
- power off with switch on back of router
- press (red) reset button
- turn power on
- wait until white power light flashes slowly

using this approach I struggled to get a response on that IP, nor on 192.168.0.1/1.1 (even with static ip in the right range)

I then refined my procedure to
- press old WPS button during power on
- wait until power light flashes quickly
- let router stabilize until wifi light shows red
( at this point router is working with defaults, and can be used)
then instructions as above but using the 192.168.1.x subnet

Doing this I could quite happily ping 192.168.1.1, but could not connect to it via a web browser, ie port 80. I had expected to see the emrgency recovery flash web pages.

I then downloaded the latest asus recovery utility, but when I tried to use this, as soon as I hit the upload button after specifying a firmware file the power light would stop flashing, and 30s later the tool would complain the router is not in recover mode.

What on earth am I doing wrong? I had expected recovery mode to be a pretty reliable way of trying out firmwares?

Note: Bootloader/CFE I've not gone near/touched so this should all be pretty legitimate

I should add that the router is currently working but this is bugging me!

Thanks
Nigel.

Set your pc to 192.168.1.9, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1. Ping the router at 193.168.1.1.
Turn the router off. Hold the reset button in while turning on the router.
When the power led flashes it should be in recovery mode and the ping should be ttl=100

Thanks. I tried that but couldn't get either the utility to work.. Nor the web ui to pop up.

However the ping and 100ttl was easy so I ended up using tftp directly which worked first time.

The recovery software and cfe web ui seems dodgy on this router. Which is a little worrying. No way can I make it behave as per docs

Still I've done what I needed for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!