What's new

RT-AC3200 slow transfer speeds on local network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aron

Occasional Visitor
Hi there!

I am experiencing extremely slow bandwidth over my local network. At first I thought it was a problem of transferring between Wifi and Ethernet connected devices but I tested Wifi to Wifi and it is also slow. I am seeing max speeds of 7-10 MB/s.

When I check internet speed from each device using speedtest.net I get around 21 MB/s on all devices. This looks good?

All devices have Gigabit ethernet and are connected with Cat7 cables. The wifi devices are connected to 5G.

I am running latest Merlin firmware (384.13_2) with amtm and Diversion plugins.

I did some Googling and have tried:
* Disabling NAT Acceleration
* Enabling Jumbo Packets
* QoS is disabled
* IPv6 is disabled
* Firewall is enabled

Hi there!

I am experiencing extremely slow bandwidth over my local network. At first I thought it was a problem of transferring between Wifi and Ethernet connected devices but I tested Wifi to Wifi and it is also slow. I am seeing max speeds of 7-10 MB/s.

When I check internet speed from each device using speedtest.net I get around 21 MB/s on all devices. This looks good?

All devices have Gigabit ethernet and are connected with Cat7 cables. The wifi devices are connected to 5G.

* Enabling Jumbo Packets
* QoS is disabled
* IPv6 is disabled
* Firewall is enabled
There is no problem with your settings except following settings.
NAT: enable.
Jumbo frame: disable.
1. Do you use 'WPA Encryption: AES'?
Wireless>General> Authentication Method: WPA2-Personal
Wireless> General>WPA Encryption: AES
2. What is your Wireless mode?
Wireless> General>Wireless mode
3. Do you use a switch?
4. Did you check your CAT.7 cables? Maybe defective?

Hi follower,

The original settings had:
NAT HW enabled
Jumbo frame disabled

I would need to double check, but enabling Jumbo frame seemed to improve internet speed for Ethernet connected devices. I was seeing on speedtest my Raspberry Pi only getting around 30 megabit/s with Jumbo disabled, once enabled it was able to reach 150, although it didn't seem as stable and would eventually still average out much lower then doing the test from my desktop over Wifi.

For wifi settings:
Wireless mode: AUTO
WPA2-Personal
AES

I don't use a switch. Devices are connected directly to AC3200 via Ethernet or Wifi.

I just bought the CAT.7 cables to replace the CAT.5e cables which had the same problem, so I don't believe cables are an issue. Besides that, the transfer speed is slow between Wifi devices too.

It seems like there is a setting on the AC3200 causing slow network speed across the board, I'm just running out of ideas as to what.

Thanks

Hi there!

* Enabling Jumbo Packets
* QoS is disabled
* IPv6 is disabled
* Firewall is enabled

Have you tried dividing and conquering? Disconnect your network and connect one PC to the router and test. Then build up from there, one addition and test at a time. Maybe some defective hardware is bringing everything down... that's more likely than a setting, assuming it was all working fine.

OE

Last edited:
I'll have to do some trial and error it seems. The strange thing is that the devices can get higher speeds out to the internet but not on local network. This would suggest it isn't defective hardware?

I've tried disabling a few more things and disconnecting devices but nothing seems to have an effect. I can't get more then 60-70 megabit/s between devices either LAN or Wifi. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I do a complete factory reset and start from scratch?

Have you tested a LAN to LAN (ethernet only) connection. WiFi introduces a whole new level of variables so it's best not to use any WiFi devices for testing.

How are you testing the LAN to LAN speeds?

Have you tested a LAN to LAN (ethernet only) connection. WiFi introduces a whole new level of variables so it's best not to use any WiFi devices for testing.

How are you testing the LAN to LAN speeds?

I must have had a brainfart and didn't test this specific scenario. I just tested LAN to LAN using iperf3 and I am getting 900+ megabit/s!

I grabbed my laptop and did some tests around the house and it appears to be signal related. I have a two story house and the router is downstairs as that is where the cable connection is. My desktop is upstairs and connected to 5Ghz wifi and this is where I was seeing 60 mbit/s. I tested my laptop downstairs near the router and got over 300 mbit/s. Testing the laptop upstairs near my desktop I was able to get 130 mbit/s. So it looks like the antenna for my desktop is CRAP, AND I might need a repeater?

EDIT: One interesting thing is, the signal strength for 2.4Ghz is better but I only get 25 mbit/s.

Last edited:
I have found that iperf can give artificially low results over WiFi. Try doing a more real-world test like a Windows file transfer.

I have found that iperf can give artificially low results over WiFi. Try doing a more real-world test like a Windows file transfer.

I don't use Windows. I did however try scp and rsync and got the same results. I used iperf on the laptop over WiFi in different parts of the house and could get good results (300+ mbit), so I think the bottleneck is signal in some areas on the second floor. I was looking at the RP-AC1900 as a solution, and putting it in the staircase where I was seeing around 300 mbit from the laptop. Do you have any experience with extenders? I saw ASUS have AiMesh but this is not supported with the Merlin firmware, so I'd have to go the standard extender route.

Merlin's firmware does support AiMesh (although it didn't initially).

I have some experience with extenders/repeaters although not for some years and not with any Asus models.

Repeaters (even when part of a mesh system) are always the least desirable option because they usually halve the throughput. If there's no other option but to use one then try to get one where the back haul to the router is on a dedicated 5GHz radio and the clients use a different radio.

That said, check what the WiFi capability of your clients are (e.g. number of antennas, bandwidth) and also check the channel and bandwidth settings on the router. You should be using 80MHz bandwidth on 5GHz (check it at System Log - Wireless Log).

Oh ok. I wasn't seeing any options in the Web UI for AiMesh. Maybe it's in a non obvious spot.

I'm a little limited on my options as I don't really want to run Ethernet through my walls. The AC3200 does have dual 5GHz, so I could dedicate one of those for the link between router and extender. Is the throughput still bad with that setup?

Is the other option getting a better antenna for my desktop?

I checked the bandwidth and both 5GHz are on 80MHz.

@Aron the RT-AC3200 does not have dual 5GHz bands. Even if it did, the main router's throughput would be cut in half when the 'extender' was active.

Better WiFi module and/or better placement of the antennae or the whole desktop, if possible (the module and the antennae should be considered a package and trying to match new antennae to the existing RF module may prove frustrating and expensive too).

The RT-AC3200 doesn't (and won't ever) support AiMesh , you'd need to upgrade your router to a newer model.

@L&LD the Ac3200 is a tri-band router , so 2 x 5Ghz.

Thank you both for catching that so quickly! :)

AC3200.png

Administration - Operation Mode

RT-AC3200 supports several operation modes to meet different requirements. Please select the mode that match your situation.

Wireless router mode (Default)
Access Point(AP) mode
Media Bridge

RT-AC3200 can be configured in Media Bridge mode.The Media Bridge mode provides the fastest 802.11ac Wi-Fi connection for multiple media devices simultaneously.To set up the Media Bridge mode, you need two RT-AC3200: one configured as the Media station and the other as a router.Configure one RT-AC3200 as a router and another RT-AC3200 as an 802.11ac Media Bridge to provide a simultaneous 802.11ac Wi-Fi connection for your media devices such as computer, Smart TV, game console, DVR, or media player via Ethernet cable.Change to Media Bridge mode to provide a simultaneous 802.11ac Wi-Fi connection for your media devices.
In Media Bridge mode, only wireless devices connect to the P-AP. Client devices need to be connected to the Media Bridge with a network cable.
In Media Bridge mode, the DHCP-assigned IP address changes. Install and use the Device Discovery Utility to get the wireless router's new IP address.

AP or Bridge mode won't "halve" anything.

@Aron What is the make and model number of the WiFi adapter in your desktop? Is it fully compatible with your operating system?

Thanks for all the input everyone!

@ColinTaylor - I am using the built-in WiFi adapter on my motherboard which is Gigabyte Aorus Z370.

I gained about 40-50mbit by moving the antenna off the top of the desktop tower. I read that USB 3 can cause interference and it was sitting near some USB 3 ports at the back of the tower. So I am getting around 110mbit now which is better but not great. My laptop gets poor transfer speed in the same room. If I put the laptop just outside the doorway (which is about 6-7ft away) then it can get 250mbit/s. I am starting to think maybe a new antenna/adapter with a long cable routed to the top of the doorway might solve/improve things enough.

The only other room I need to boost signal in is a bedroom, and doing the laptop test in there showed speeds of about 120-150mbit/s, which is better then the office but I can't really solve that with antennas. Maybe I can mount the router that is downstairs onto the wall which would raise it up maybe 3-4ft - I'll have to test and see if its worth making that change.