1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC3200 - Wifi failing...

Discussion in 'ASUS AC Routers & Adapters' started by JJTP, Nov 16, 2019.

1. JJTP

JJTP New Around Here

My WIFI has failed,stopped/quit twice in the last two days.

Suddenly, theres no SSID broadcast and all wifi devices fail to see the WIFI and the router does not respond via WIFI.

I can still access the control panel and I tried to start/stop the wifi service with the app and pushing the wifi button on the front of the router. The network works fine and the router works perfectly otherwise.

Nothing re-enables the router's WIFI until I power it down, and back on.

I am going to file a warranty claim with an extended warranty company and I'm curious what you guys think I'm going to have to 'prove' to get a claim approved?

The Router is from 2015. Can someone tell me in the log system where I should be looking for trouble codes?

I have a diagnostic debug log capture going for the next 24 hours.

2. OzarkEdge

OzarkEdge Very Senior Member

Here's a decent price on a new 86U router:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752FD3XJ/?tag=snbforums-20

OE

3. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Might be time for a new AC adapter, I would check that first.

4. JJTP

JJTP New Around Here

Hmm I wouldn't have thought of that as a cause of the problem. I'll have to check and find out what I can use to test in place of the one I got from Asus.

5. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

In addition to testing with a new power adaptor, when was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults followed by a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP (without using a backup config file to restore from)? :)

6. JJTP

JJTP New Around Here

................never

7. L&LD

L&LD Part of the Furniture

Before you RMA it to get a refurbished unit (most likely), you may want to follow the M&M Config link in my signature below (or even the 'Nuclear Reset', in the same link too). ;)

8. JJTP

JJTP New Around Here

I noticed they do refurbs. And I don't even want a refurb. Not for this kind of primary network gear especially. If they give me an option if It does turn out to be defective now, I'll take a payout instead.

Checking the MM link.

L&LD likes this.
  9. Scotland21

Scotland21 New Around Here

I had the same problem, check the cpu usage when you lose wifi, mine was spiking, one core at a time. I also noticed that this only happened after making a change to the wifi settings.
    This I'm afraid is common (plenty of information on here), I cured my problem by following the Nuclear Reset process from this site and touch wood since it has been fine.

10. JJTP

JJTP New Around Here

Good info I'll check it when it goes down again. So far, since I've posted I have not had the wifi failure. But I believe it did occur around that time though it was not immediately after.

And right as I type this, I see there is a firmware update. I'll be doing that after I Save my config.