What's new

RT-AC3200 with Asuswrt-Merlin resets time to "May 4"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BMac

New Around Here
every couple of weeks, my router spontaneously resets the time to be May 4 at 23:05. The log shows:
Sep 22 13:53:20 kernel: [tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2
Sep 22 14:23:24 kernel: [tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2
Sep 22 14:32:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[271]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) (MAC ADDRESS DELETED for this post)
Sep 22 14:32:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[271]: DHCPOFFER(br0) (MAC ADDRESS DELETED for this post)
Sep 22 14:32:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[271]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) (MAC ADDRESS DELETED for this post)
Sep 22 14:32:53 dnsmasq-dhcp[271]: DHCPACK(br0) (MAC ADDRESS DELETED for this post)
May 4 23:05:02 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1
May 4 23:05:02 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2018-07-25 12:35:35 EDT)
May 4 23:05:02 kernel: 0x00000000
May 4 23:05:02 kernel: bootconsole [earlycon0] enabled
May 4 23:05:02 kernel: Memory policy: ECC disabled, Data cache writealloc
I have to manually pull the power and plug it back in to get it back. It will eventually regain the correct time on its own if I'm not home when this happens, but I have not idea how long it actually takes to regain its senses.

Does anyone know why this happens?

It hasn't "reset the time". Your router has crashed, when it starts back up again the date and time are set to the default value (May 4 @ 23:00) until it has internet connectivity. At that point it corrects with time using NTP.

Thanks. That explains a lot. I know without seeing all the logs, you probably can't surmise this, but any guess why it routinely crashes? Should I abandon merlin?

Sorry, no idea. There seems to be a lot of this being reported for 384.x firmware. TBH it seems more likely to be an issue with Asus' closed source components so switching back to stock firmware might not fix anything.

I'm running an RT-AC3200 with merlin and I'm rock solid stable, 46 days uptime. However, I have AiCloud, AiProtection/Trendmicro and any other extra apps disabled. So, maybe try disabling those?

There seems to be a lot of this being reported for 384.x firmware.

Most reports were tied to the RT-AC86U, most likely related to its 32/64-bit hybrid architecture.

I can't remember ever having a single unexpected reboot out of my RT-AC88U, and I frequently run more beta code than what you guys are.

Have you looked at the temperatures?

My AC3200 has never crashed, uptime right now is @ 2 months .

Also check the power adaptor. Is it getting too hot? Is the connection into the wall socket or router wobbly? Got any pets that like to sleep in a warm place:p?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!