What's new

RT-AC51U - VPN Password Limitations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thorton

Regular Contributor
Yesterday I got AC51U for small office needs. It has the latest version of original Asus firmware, and I would like to setup this router to connect OpenVPN.

So I go to OpenVPN section, import file with VPN profile, enter my username/password, click Save, and... get a popup that password can not contain < symbol!

So I tried to use a password with < symbol for router's login. Works perfectly. Then I used a password with < symbol for WiFi network itself - works perfectly. But if I use password with < symbol for VPN, it displays popup that < is invalid symbol.

I have AC87U (but this one runs Merlin) at home, and OpenVPN works perfectly when < is used. Is it a limitation/bug of original Asus firmware? Or limitation of AC51U itself? Since my AC87U runs Merlin, I can't test if this limitation/bug of firmware also exists in a more expensive router.

EDIT: I think I should have posted this to AC thread - https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asus-ac-ax-routers-adapters.47/ - could mods move it, please?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!