What's new

RT-AC5300 2.4GHz randomly switches to channel 0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SirAce135

Occasional Visitor
For a few months now I have had this random issue of my 2.4GHz SSID just disappearing. I was never able to really capture it myself since it either happened late when I was in bed or when I wasn't home.
UNTIL NOW!

I just so happen to be on my computer when it happened and I was able to capture the following ODD behavior.

I am currently running Merlin 380.64, but I have had this same exact issue on previous versions.

When logging into the router (hard wired connection) it seems very sluggish but all hard wired and 5GHz devices still have uninterrupted internet access.

The green WiFi symbol on the top right is showing left half green and right half white and when I hover over it, it says 2.4GHz network is on channel 0 (zero).

image.png

Checking the logs and I see nothing that really jumps out at me or even near the right time. (Issue occurred at 1/20/17 9:20PM)

image.png

Visiting the wireless tab to try and change the channel back manually did not even give me the option to change it to anything besides auto.

image.png

And clicking on the wireless log tab takes forever to load and ends up giving me a glitched out UI with no navigation. Almost looks like there should be more above the area but there isn't.

image.png

Making a simple change like Wireless Mode from Auto to N Only (just to make the router update and refresh those settings) caused the 2.4GHz network to be fixed. It went back to channel: Auto, but now it chose channel 5 and lets me manually select a channel if I so choose.

I ran a wifi environment scan and picked channel 11 instead of auto in the hope this wont continue happening.

Any ideas what is causing this? Or has anyone also faced this?

Thanks!

I have this exact issue. We cant change the channel, auto is the only option. Starting to think this is a firmware issue, seeing as this is a recent post

I have this exact issue. We cant change the channel, auto is the only option. Starting to think this is a firmware issue, seeing as this is a recent post

A temp fix for me was changing the wireless mode from Auto to N only and then back to Auto. This kicked the wifi back into gear.
After that I updated to the latest build of Merlin and it has been great so far. *knock on wood*

Hope this helps!

Just sent my rt-ac5300 in for the upper 5ghz band stuck on channel 0.

WTF! i got the same issue but with 5Ghz and RT-AC88U. Started to drop my wifi random, then the LED for 5GHz wouldn't turn off when i disable wifi or turned the leds off with the front button. "Now Current Control Channel" is stuck at 0. The wifi symbol is only half green (2.4ghz is ok). This is my second router. Wont be a third. asus-crap!

Edit: Returned my unit and got a new one. Its the 3rd router. Hope this one will stay alive longer.

Last edited:
I just bought a new RT-AC86U and this is happening to me with 2.4 band. Cannot select a channel manually and the yellow text says Current Control Channel: 0! Switching between N only and auto did not reset the option for me. At a loss as to what to do. Tried using Merlin but the issue persists. This is a core bios defect. I also have the disappearing menu/button list on the left when I go into the wireless section, and the only to get that back was to factory initialize the router.
Can anyone suggest a reliable, comparable router from someone other than Asus?

This is a core bios defect.

No, this is a hardware problem, not a software one.

Try doing a complete power cycle, and if it still fails then your router's 2.4 GHz band is dead. Have it sent in for repair.

I just bought a new RT-AC86U and this is happening to me with 2.4 band. Cannot select a channel manually and the yellow text says Current Control Channel: 0! Switching between N only and auto did not reset the option for me. At a loss as to what to do. Tried using Merlin but the issue persists. This is a core bios defect. I also have the disappearing menu/button list on the left when I go into the wireless section, and the only to get that back was to factory initialize the router.
Can anyone suggest a reliable, comparable router from someone other than Asus?

I feel your pain! I too just bought the 86U about a week ago. It worked fine for 3 big days and I woke up one morning to find that the 5ghz band had disappeared and every device I had connected to it was offline. I tried loading Merlin firmware, doing hard resets, and I found threads where people said when this happened to unplug and push the reset button while plugging back in, etc........nothing worked for me; the 5ghz light never did come back on and in the GUI the 5ghz channel was set to 0 and auto and no drop down menu to select other channels were available. What a disappointment as Asus had been my favorite go to router for years......what is going on with their quality? I agree with Merlin that this problem is definitely a hardware failure as I tried everything (software wise) to get the 5ghz to working again and wasn't able to. I end up having to send it back for a refund and was afraid to purchase another one once I got to reading threads of this same issue which goes back a year or two and its still happening........I really wish I could have kept the 86U as it was blazing fast and I like Merlin's software enhancements a lot.

DOAs happen all the time, regardless of the manufacturer. I've had a hard disk fail on me after three days once. Had an iPod touch wifi die after 2 days. Just exchange it under warranty, one DOA does not imply the design is faulty.

DOAs happen all the time, regardless of the manufacturer. I've had a hard disk fail on me after three days once. Had an iPod touch wifi die after 2 days. Just exchange it under warranty, one DOA does not imply the design is faulty.

I totally agree as I've had hardware failures on more than one router brand but the thing that concerns me is that a lot of people have experienced this same issue with these Asus routers and its been happening for well over a year and the problem persists. OTOH if you go to other routers community forums they're all plagued with problems as well. I am just wondering if there is such a thing as a reliable router out there that will last more than a year? thats the big question for me......I guess the old Linksys WRT 54G really spoiled me, lol....that was the first router I ever purchased and that was in 2007 and its retired and in my closet but I'm quite certain that if I fire it back up it would still work.....those good old days are gone......

I had the same problem with a brand new AC88U in Jan 2019, you'll probably find that the AiMesh icon disappears at the same time
I got channel 0 on the 2.4ghz band
I've tried upping and downgrading firmware
I changed wifi mode to N only then disabled both 2G and 5G radios, enabled them and I knew it was working as the AiMesh icon appeared once more.

I suddenly hate ASUS very much
All other routers Ive owned have been rock solid and I know my routers - I have a very very big house with 6 BT wholehome discs and 4 cctv DVRs and several other access points too. Suffice to say I know what I'm doing and this issue is affecting far too many asus users.

I have the same channel 0 on the 2.4ghz band and the only way I could get it to work is as soon as I reboot I put it on a good channel and take it out of auto. If I am too slow and it goes to auto then I have to reboot. I have a 86u and a 68 in mesh and the 68 has been solid. The 86 works great when I fix the channel zero thing.

I had the same problem with a brand new AC88U in Jan 2019, you'll probably find that the AiMesh icon disappears at the same time
I got channel 0 on the 2.4ghz band
I've tried upping and downgrading firmware
I changed wifi mode to N only then disabled both 2G and 5G radios, enabled them and I knew it was working as the AiMesh icon appeared once more.

I suddenly hate ASUS very much
All other routers Ive owned have been rock solid and I know my routers - I have a very very big house with 6 BT wholehome discs and 4 cctv DVRs and several other access points too. Suffice to say I know what I'm doing and this issue is affecting far too many asus users.
I have the same channel 0 on the 2.4ghz band and the only way I could get it to work is as soon as I reboot I put it on a good channel and take it out of auto. If I am too slow and it goes to auto then I have to reboot. I have a 86u and a 68 in mesh and the 68 has been solid. The 86 works great when I fix the channel zero thing.

Sounds like a full and proper reset to factory defaults may be needed on these routers? See my signature for the M&M Config link below to get the router to a good/known state.

My AC86U was working then after accidentally hitting the "Wi-Fi On/Off" button the Wifi would not come back on. I tried resetting and then reflashing in recovery mode... nothing helped.

Anyone figure out a fix?

I appreciate this is an old thread but if anyone finds this with this same problem, I changed the "TX Power Adjustment" on the Wireless / Professional tab to turn it down one notch from "Performance" to "Good" and this seems to have fixed my missing 5Ghz network. This could be the result of a failing component, overheating(?) or power supply but worth a try if you also have the same issue. :)

I appreciate this is an old thread but if anyone finds this with this same problem, I changed the "TX Power Adjustment" on the Wireless / Professional tab to turn it down one notch from "Performance" to "Good" and this seems to have fixed my missing 5Ghz network. This could be the result of a failing component, overheating(?) or power supply but worth a try if you also have the same issue. :)
Gavin you Rock! This issue has been driving me crazy - tried loads of things from this thread and others. The Performance to Good trick worked. Yeehaaaa!

Wow. It helped with my 2.4 ghz =0 channel issue. Thank you Sir!

Saved my 2.4GHz issue as well! Thank you!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!