Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC5300: 5GHz-2 band disconnecting from Apple devices

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by Logi, Apr 20, 2017 at 8:25 PM.

1. Logi

Logi Regular Contributor

I am using the RT-AC5300 with all 3 wifi bands separated, I use for my Apple devices (MacBook 2016, iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Pro 12.9) the second 5GHz-2 band, and 2-3 times a week when I get home from work none of the Apple devices will connect to the second 5GHz-2 Band, it will give me an error on the iDevice "unable to connect", then if I try to connect to the first 5GHz-1 band everything will be fine, I have to turn off the 5GHz-2 Band to be able to connect to the iDevices successfully. Below is the configuration, any idea on the possible problem? It happens with the latest official Asus FW or with the latest Merlin FW.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 19.22.15.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 19.21.59.png

2. Pierino

Pierino Very Senior Member

I would start by picking a channel, I never use auto.

3. Logi

Logi Regular Contributor

Do you have any suggestion on what is the best practice for each band? I am not an expert, and there is Control, Extension and Bandwidth Channel, thanks

4. MartinDEE

MartinDEE Occasional Visitor

Hi, logi

I have the RT-AC5300 & 2 apple products on my network this is my Wi-Fi setup no drop outs

Firmware:380.66_alpha4

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Logi

Logi Regular Contributor

Thanks Martin, I am using the exact same FW now, I implemented your configuration, I just left the 5GHz-2 channel on 149 instead of Auto and I am not hiding the SSID.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017 at 10:53 PM
  6. Pierino

Pierino Very Senior Member

I would try various ones or using the site survey feature. Keep in mind not all channels are available in every country. That goes for the router and client.