What's new

RT-AC5300 5GHZ suddenly much slower

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spantobi

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I was going to log in to my RT-AC5300 a while back but the GUI was all broken and really slow. There was a lot of missing graphics and some menus were blank. I managed to click my way to the menu
where you can reset the router to factory default. So I did a factory default.

After the reset, the GUI was fine again but since then both 5GHZ bands are much, much slower than before.

I use the Speedtest app on my iPhone 6s and if I look back at my speed test results from the past it always maxed out at around 230-250Mbit down and 110-125Mbit up. But now I can barely get 110Mbit down and 100Mbit up.

The app called Wi-Fi Sweetspots reports 300Mbps. My internet connection speed is 250/100.

I have tried to use the ASUS Firmware Restoration tool to downgrade the firmware but that didn't make any difference. I have the exact same settings as before as well.

I also own an RP-AC68U repeater that I run in AP Mode. When I walk over to my living room where the phone automatically connects to the RP-AC68U repeater I suddenly max out at the old fast speed (230-250Mbit/110-125Mbit) and Wi-Fi Sweespots reports speed at 950Mbit-1000Mbit.

Do you guys have any ideas what could cause this? Do you think the RT-AC5300 is broken somehow after the GUI broke down? Any tips/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!