What's new

RT-AC5300 all wifi networks reverting to 20MHz bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ryannathans

Regular Contributor
Hi all

I'm having a problem where all wifi bands (2&5) are reverting to 20MHz and performance is basically non existant. Rebooting the router puts them back at 80MHz for 5 and 40MHz for 2 and performance is temporarily restored.

I seem to be able to trigger this bug by making small changes to wifi settings, in this case optimise ampdu aggregation was enabled. Anything that makes the below screen pop up seems to trigger the bug.

Note the bandwidth dropping to 20MHz after the changes.

Running 384.6 on my RT-AC5300.

Strangely enough, I can't reproduce the bug testing the same firmware on a different RT-AC5300.

Also, after a period of time several devices capable of both 2.4 and 5 (a phone and two tablets) have horrible performance (1-5mb/s) and the only fix is to reboot the router. It's strange because while they're performing horribly other devices still operate normally.

_20180823_111556.JPG
_20180823_111649.JPG
_20180823_111447.JPG

Last edited:
have you done factory reset and intialize? Use WPS-button method too, press WPS while powering on and release it 20s later.
Flash firmware again and see if it helps.
Dont use space in ssid ( '_' instead) and simple password for testing.

Good idea, I just read that 384.7 has a lot of wifi fixes in it so when that comes out I'll do as you suggest and factory initialise after flashing.

Are there any binaries going around? I had a look before but couldn't find any, just suggestions to compile from source on github

How long do you think before there's a beta around? Don't want to spend my Friday night downloading toolchains and then by the time I finish there's a binary out :p

you'ld have to ask Merling, but dont think that fast. Maybe he is waiting for 32797 and 32738 GPL to be out and implemented in his final 384_7.

Seems to work well except devices on one of the 5GHz bands (e.g. 5G-1) can't ping/access devices on the other 5GHz band (e.g. 5G-2), however, there are no issues pinging devices on LAN or 2.4GHz

If I start pinging 192.168.0.5 for example from 192.168.0.2, from 5GHz-1 to 5GHz-2 it fails 100% of the time: Reply from 192.168.0.2: Destination host unreachable.
If I connect 192.168.0.5 to 2.4GHz it works as expected: Reply from 192.168.0.5: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
However, if I connect 192.168.0.5 device back to 5GHz and make it forget 2.4GHz the ping now is successful.

I am using 5GHz smart connect, with the 2.4GHz network separate.

Strangely, I have another device that does not appear to exhibit these problems of cross-band pinging.

Last edited:
The WiFi networks still revert to 20 MHz on one RT-AC5300 I have access to after upgrading to 384.7 alpha 2 and factory initialisation but not on the second RT-AC5300 I have access to.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!