1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC5300 and Flow Accelerator

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by Trik, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Trik

Trik New Around Here

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been using Asuswrt-Merlin for a few years now, always been great (thanks for that!).

Recently I moved to a new area with FIOS and 940/880 connection and I'm noticing that I am not getting anywhere near that speed. I usually top out just under 400Mbps.

I was on the old 380 firmware, and have since updated to 384. Just to be safe, I did a full "Initialize" and reconfigured everything.

I cannot get Flow Accelerator (FA) to enable, this is with a blank firmware, no special settings, everything disabled except for "Hardware Acceleration".

The RT-AC5300 does support FA right? CTF is definitely enabled, but I can't get to level 2. I have all QoS disabled, no STP, no TrendMicro stuff... It didn't work in 380 or 384.4 Beta3.

Any thoughts or troubleshooting steps? I've rebooted multiple times. Also, if CTF/FA Level 2 Hardware isn't what I should be using with a gigabit connection, (it seems in my research it is), also, let me know that!

Thanks!!

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. KevTech

KevTech Very Senior Member

You only need CTF for gigabit.

4. Trik

Trik New Around Here

I appreciate that info, so then I should be seeing > 400Mbps via a wired connection since I do have CTF enabled. Running tests directly connected to the ONT, I see a much faster connection, so the bottleneck definitely seems to be the RT-AC5300.

Still curious why I cannot get CTF/FA Level 2. In fact, with HW Acceleration disabled, I see slightly faster speeds (still not close to max), but of course the CPU utilization goes up considerably.

Will the log in debug mode tell me why it isn't enabling Level 2?

5. FeRReTTi

FeRReTTi Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I have the same issue. I just updated to FIOS Gigabit speeds and am able to get those speeds if I directly connect to the Verizon modem but once I connect to the AC5300 with H/W acceleration off the quickest I get is ~400mbps. I am also unable to get CTF/FA level 2 and am interested in also finding a solution as I love this router and would definitely prefer to use it over the Verizon one.

6. Trik

Trik New Around Here

Thanks for confirming you're having the same trouble FeRReTTi, I haven't found a solution, have you had any luck? I have reset, started from scratch and just tried to get CTF/FA Level 2, and haven't been able to. Have you ever seen this successfully enabled on an RT-AC5300 @RMerlin ?

7. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Flow Accelerator is not supported by SDK 7.14 devices (that means RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100 or RT-AC5300).

8. Trik

Trik New Around Here

Oh that explains it then... thanks very much for confirming so I can stop thinking I’m doing something wrong.

I guess next question is... CTF should be enough to pull gigabit speeds from the ONT, have you any suggestions? Should I just run with all HW acceleration disabled and let the CPU handle it?

Thanks!!

9. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Should be enough, as long you don't start enabling features that will increase processing time, such as anything related to the Trend Micro engine. While the engine is compatible with CTF, it will still slow down traffic a bit.

Also note that CTF will not work with port-forwarded traffic, as this needs to be marked for bypassing CTF.

10. Find the Door

Find the Door Regular Contributor

Would the RT-AC86U be able to accommodate this? Also is the 86U supported by you?

11. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

Hard to say without testing, since it will depend on what features you enable.

Yes, the RT-AC86U is supported.

12. doczenith1

doczenith1 Senior Member

I can confirm with my old 68U that FA would enable just fine with 380 and older branch firmware but it does not enable with 384 branch firmware. I get CTF only with 384. I can also confirm that my 68U would do 940 Mbps with only CTF so an AC5300 should have no problem.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!