Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC5300 and Flow Accelerator

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by Trik, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Trik

Trik New Around Here

Mar 13, 2018
    Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been using Asuswrt-Merlin for a few years now, always been great (thanks for that!).

Recently I moved to a new area with FIOS and 940/880 connection and I'm noticing that I am not getting anywhere near that speed. I usually top out just under 400Mbps.

I was on the old 380 firmware, and have since updated to 384. Just to be safe, I did a full "Initialize" and reconfigured everything.

I cannot get Flow Accelerator (FA) to enable, this is with a blank firmware, no special settings, everything disabled except for "Hardware Acceleration".

The RT-AC5300 does support FA right? CTF is definitely enabled, but I can't get to level 2. I have all QoS disabled, no STP, no TrendMicro stuff... It didn't work in 380 or 384.4 Beta3.

Any thoughts or troubleshooting steps? I've rebooted multiple times. Also, if CTF/FA Level 2 Hardware isn't what I should be using with a gigabit connection, (it seems in my research it is), also, let me know that!

2. KevTech

KevTech Very Senior Member

Feb 27, 2012
    United States
    You only need CTF for gigabit.
  3. Trik

Trik New Around Here

Mar 13, 2018
    I appreciate that info, so then I should be seeing > 400Mbps via a wired connection since I do have CTF enabled. Running tests directly connected to the ONT, I see a much faster connection, so the bottleneck definitely seems to be the RT-AC5300.

Still curious why I cannot get CTF/FA Level 2. In fact, with HW Acceleration disabled, I see slightly faster speeds (still not close to max), but of course the CPU utilization goes up considerably.

Will the log in debug mode tell me why it isn't enabling Level 2?