What's new

RT-AC5300 and nVidia ShieldTV (gen 2): Slow WiFi speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

solo

Occasional Visitor
I've narrowed down my streaming issues with my nVidia Shield TVs (gen 2). When connected via wifi, the ShieldTV struggles with transfer speeds (local - from NAS and also Netflix, YouTube etc.); when wired - all is good. I have no issues on other devices (ipad pro, macbook pro, etc.). Therefore, I am very much inclined to think the wifi chip on the ShieldTV is the culprit. This is a 2nd unit I am testing with. Before I think of wires (which in my case is damn near impossible) would there be anything else I can try to troubleshoot the wifi connection? Do you think setting up QoS might help? Any other suggestions?

Therefore, I am very much inclined to think the wifi chip on the ShieldTV is the culprit.

I very much doubt it. I also have the second gen Nvidia Shield TV box and get absolutely no issues when streaming via wifi - my router is a Netgear R9000 (X10) router. If you've done already done the usual checks, eg selecting least congested wifi channel etc then the only thing I can suggest is plug in an ethernet>wifi adaptor on the Shield or as a last resort change your router.

I very much doubt it. I also have the second gen Nvidia Shield TV box and get absolutely no issues when streaming via wifi - my router is a Netgear R9000 (X10) router. If you've done already done the usual checks, eg selecting least congested wifi channel etc then the only thing I can suggest is plug in an ethernet>wifi adaptor on the Shield or as a last resort change your router.

Ha, this is interesting. What are you streaming, is it off a NAS or Netflix etc.? I am having issues even getting Netflix to stream in 4k, it always drops down to lower resolutions. Forget about streaming larger mkv's from my NAS. Logically speaking though, if only 1 out of 10 different devices connected to the same router is having an issue wouldn't it make sense that the issue is on the client side?

On the Nvidia I'm streaming from Android apps such as netflix 4k, Kodi, tvplayer and no issues whatsoever. Sorry, cannot help you re: NAS streaming as I don't use any kind of attached hardware.

Thanks. Funny enough, I just updated to 6.2 and Netflix is doing better. The speed test on the Netflix app still shows only 20.14 mbps but it looks good now watching Breaking Bad in 4k. Still having local network issue though. I have a ticket open with nVidia and another ShieldTV in the mail from Amazon.

Turned out ShieldTV only likes to work on channel 153. I had to set it to 153 manually on 5GHz-2 for it to work well.

Last edited:
FWIW I'm using channel 157 on my R9000 and the Shield picks that up very well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!