What's new

RT-AC5300 and RP-AC68U conn. speed issue/Different countries

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ferris

New Around Here
Hey All;

First things; if this is in the wrong thread please move it (sorry), also excuse my English (non native speaker) and lastly Thanks for the amazing forum and work you do guys , ASUS is lucky to have this forum (since their support is rubbish even for MOBs wish they could learn from GIGABYTE a thing or two).

Now a little background on my setup and issue:
I have and RT-AC5300 bought from Switzerland and running FW 3.0.0.4.380_1355
and I have RP- AC68U bought from the USA and running FW 3.0.0.4.378_348 and its connected wirelessly to the router above through the button on the back (WPS).The distance between them is 8 meters (27ft) in length not sqr. my house walls are from building blocks made from cement and some reinforced walls (specially corners) with steal beams , the router is placed in my living room cause my fiber modem is there and the repeater is in my room across the hallway.

My issue is that I don't get good signal from the router to the repeater and even from the router to my devices in my room the signal is week , and the connection drops between the router and repeater every once in while.

If you notice, I run an old FW, and that is because Asus blocked the options to change the Tx? power in later FWs (thanks America) and I don't want to update until I make sure that its not a power out put issue. in that regard I should point out that I live in a country in the M.E. and I checked with my local authorities regarding out put power and they didn't have any concerns as along as its a commercial product not some military equipment and more so in the area I live in, so we got that out of the way.

How can I solve this issue , is it power related ?? or is it (my assumption) a problem due to the different regions of the routers (I tired once a code on puty which shows the region and had the router to EU and repeater to US) could this what cause the signal to drop (maybe different channels?).

I don't have Ethernet cables between the rooms, should I just dump the router and go for erro mesh ?
or is there a better router to replace the existing one?

I apologize for the long post but this issue has been bugging me for the last year, so please help solve it

Cheers
Ferris

I have and RT-AC5300

so if you have a 5300 and its not providing adequate coverage i would say its your environment and construction materials that are blocking the wifi signal and no matter how much power you throw at it this wont change

what you need to investigate is how you can get the wifi transmission to where its needed , the rp-ac68u can only work well if its located in an area where there is at least good coverage from the 5300 and even then if the construction materials block its further coverage its still not going to work

with construction materials and environment in mind you may need to ether have ethernet run to the room where its needed and run a wireless access point there or look at power line adapters with wireless

Thanks for the reply mate;

I am with you on the construction materials used, I'll try to post some photos of my setup and the house maybe I'll give a better view than I could express in English.

What do you think about the other possibility that the issue stems from using 2 products from 2 different countries/ standards, isn't that an issue people face with the likes of apple products (having connections issues due to different countries us vs Europe?)

Maybe Merlin could shed some light on this is possible?

I am trying to find the command to get country info from the NVRAM , so if you anyone could please provide us with it

Cheers

Here is a couple of pictures; one for the building material used in the walls , and the other is for my current setup the repeater is circled in yellow and the router in red and shows the distance between them.

I would like to point out that I used to run a similar setup but using a Buffalo whr-hp-g54 router connected wireless to Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP bridge/Ethernet converter and had no problems and I could stream HD Channels from my Dreambox back to the PC with no problems.

Again, if anyone with experience could help, is my setup having trouble communicating due to being different regions ? or should I just update the AC5300 and hope for the better ??

Thanks

Attachments

• IMGP0347.JPG
    IMGP0347.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 848
  • router-repeater setup.jpg
    router-repeater setup.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 629
Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP bridge/Ethernet converter and had no problems and I could stream HD Channels from my Dreambox back to the PC with no problems.

although i have my doubt on if 54M could do HD streaming , i can only suggest it was because it only uses 2.4 gig

have you tried connecting to the 2.4 gig transmission of the 5300 from the 68u

I checked, its connected to the 5 GHZ (parent -AP) with a link rate avg. of 704 Mbps in repeater mode, now the question is why the constant drop offs in the connection between the router and the repeater? could it be an firmware issue (as the repeater didn't have any firmware updates since release , typical Asus $hit support, sell and forget then beg to sell again),,

there are different modes the repeater could operate in: repeater mode(current one) and Express Way (2.4 or 5 GHz) , Access Point (AP) mode and Media Bridge mode, ill try the express way 2.4ghz and revert back with results .

Also I attached photos of the wireless settings on the AC5300.

P.s Mr. Pete; thanks for you help and replies, from your experience do I need to set the country the same on both devices, also do you happen to know the NV ram command to show the country the device is set on and the one to change it ? also did the power output got effected after the new American rules took effect ? or is it safe to update the router and not lose any power or setting related to it ?
Cheers

Attachments

• 2.4ghz router setup.jpg
    2.4ghz router setup.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 843
  • 5ghz router setup.jpg
    5ghz router setup.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 836
from your experience do I need to set the country the same on both devices

should not make any difference but if using access control its best to set thenm to the same regional settings

and the one to change it ?

you cant change it anymore as its locked up due to fcc regulations

also did the power output got effected after the new American rules took effect ?

not sure but i think they stayed the same but also locked up

or is it safe to update the router and not lose any power or setting related to it ?

safe and always best to have them updated to current firmware

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!