What's new

RT-AC5300 DHCP List Working very Poorly

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The goal of a DHCP list is to show the list of assigned DHCP leases, not a list of connected devices.

The goal of a DHCP list is to show the list of assigned DHCP leases, not a list of connected devices.
I probably used the incorrect terminology. Under General\Network Map\Clients\View List\Client Status\Online, this does not update completely the devices connected. Some devices might get updated but only hours later.

I probably used the incorrect terminology. Under General\Network Map\Clients\View List\Client Status\Online, this does not update completely the devices connected. Some devices might get updated but only hours later.

Make sure you use a /24 network (anything larger would be missing clients, networkmap is hardcoded for a /24).

The list is populated through arp, so make sure you aren't segmenting your network - using repeaters or media bridges may have an impact on client visibility.

Make sure you use a /24 network (anything larger would be missing clients, networkmap is hardcoded for a /24).

The list is populated through arp, so make sure you aren't segmenting your network - using repeaters or media bridges may have an impact on client visibility.

Thank you for your reply.

I do have a /24
No segmented network
Not using a repeater or media bridge

I am using this router as a VPN router (Nordvpn) - Did not display devices when not in VPN mode as well
My Comcast Router\Modem is set to bridge mode by Comcast
My Asus router is running in Wireless router mode

I have 15 devices on my network: I have them all as DHCP Reserved

The comment on ARP got my interest:
I have 2 printers that state they are "Offline" in the Wireless logs: They are both "Associated" & "Authorized" and "Connect time" is running but they do not show up in Client Status\Online. (One shows occasionally so the keyword I guess is "online")

I have one Ethernet connected printer that never shows in Client Status\Online though I can use it on my network and print.

Maybe I am over thinking all of this but my Zoom Cable Modem always showed all devices connected to my network which was nice to be able to see.
Should this Router have such capability?

Thank you very much Merlin
Steve

Yes, and it works for me, which is why I suspect something on your setup is interfering.
Hi RMerlin,
First thank you for your immediate assistance! Also I have already grown attached to your Firmware. Incredible work!

I called ASUS tech support. I received a tech who gave me two options within 2 and a half minutes. Return the router or receive an email from our engineers that want you to complete multiple forms and send in logs, etc and they will get back to you. My support call lasted a little over 6 minutes and the links they sent me to perform some form fill out didn't work. Go figure.

I am going to return this RT-AC5300. I am convinced this is broke out of box. After spending 11 full hours hours with it yesterday, I am convinced it is broke and not my home network setup.

I am game to get another RT-AC5300 to try but if it doesn't work, can you please suggest to me your findings on what is a good VPN router, preferably one that can support your firmware as well as 12-15 devices (4-6 spontaneously) in a 3500 sf (upstairs-downstairs house).

Hi RMerlin,
First thank you for your immediate assistance! Also I have already grown attached to your Firmware. Incredible work!

I did a workaround fix for the DHCP not working as good as I would expect.
For the Roku and and a couple other devices, the DHCP reserved IP works so that I always see these devices in Client Status.

For all other devices I use static IP and all works with the exception of 1 static IP printer. I can live with it.

Thanks RMerlin!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!