What's new

[RT-AC5300] DNS over TLS and OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DrDuke

New Around Here
Hey Guys!

Maybe I found a bug or I'm doing something wrong :)

When I use DoT alone (router is dns resolver for the LAN - 192.168.1.1 is set correctly when I use DHCP) it works fine and the internet reacts quickly. All fine so far. But when I turn on the OpenVPN client on the router to route the traffic of some clients over the tunnel it gets strange. All the clients using the tunnel have a quick responding dns (I think they get their dns resolved over the dns server of the vpn host through the tunnel).
The clients connecting directly through the wan have a wonky dns response. I have to hit the reload button in the browser for several seconds until a page loads. When I then open another page within a couple of seconds the dns gets resolved instantly. When I wait a bit longer 30sec-1min I have to smash the reload button again for a couple of seconds until the dns resolve happens again.

The following am I trying to do:
1. By default route all internet traffic over a OpenVPN connection setup on the router. The tunnel is working so far and has it's own dns server provided by the vpn host. I belive all the clients using the vpn get their dns resolved over this dns server.
2. I have setup the router as a DoT-dns-server for the local network. At the moment I connect to the cloudflare dns servers and my local clients get their dns resolves from 192.168.1.1 when the vpn tunnel isn't running or when they are setup to direct connect to the internet.
3. My gaming PC and other devices with high bandwith/low latency demand should be routed directly to the wan port of the router. The gaming PC's browser is setup to go through the vpn and the rest of the traffic should go directly to the routers wan port.

Edit: I'm using asuswrt-merlin on a RT-AC5300

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!