What's new

RT-AC5300 + GS116Ev2 = Link Aggregation Aggravation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ryme

New Around Here
Hello all, I'm a new guy here, but I've been in IT for the last 12 years. I've recently purchased the Asus RT-AC5300 and NetGear GS116EV2 in the hopes of using link aggregation between the two devices. I will admit that I am new to this sort of thing though I have worked with NIC teaming on my domain controller and gaming rig.

To the point - I'm now learning about LAG, LACP and the 802.3ad standard and am a bit confused. I logged into the router and enabled Bonding/Link Aggregation under switch control, then logged into the switch and set up a LAG group with ports 1 & 2 and poof, suddenly all devices on the switch lose contact with the rest of the network. Now I've double checked everything and I'm using ports 1 & 2 on the router (says the router manual) and ports 1 & 2 on the switch (first 8 ports can be setup for lag) yet I get nothing. Once I disabled the LAG group and remove one of the two cables from the switch I get full network connectivity back.

The question - I can't find anywhere in either devices documentation if they support LACP, or even what the difference between LACP and LAG is. All I know for sure is that both devices support link aggregation as per their boxes and documents, but as of right now I've got nothing but link aggravation. Sorry, I had to. So where am I going wrong?

Any helpful information would be gratefully appreciated. I know for one thing that I am going to stick with this router. The switch, if need be can go back and be exchanged if all else fails.

This link from NG forum indicates that your switch supports static LAG only.
However, the Netgear GS108T(v2) does. I just looked at mine and LACP is there for LAG (not using it though). The Asus router? They support LAG, whatever that means..

EDIT: Looking at the AC5300 it claims it supports 802.3ad. Maybe the Asus would shed some light on what's going on. But, it looks like the NG switch may be the problem..

Last edited:
I've found a few articles suggesting that the switch may be the issue. From what I take from it the switch only supports part of the standard, not the whole thing. Who do you think would be the best to contact, netgear or Asus? At this point I'm putting my money on the fact that the switch is the problem. What switch should I go for that will fully support the standard? I really only need an 8 port, but got the 16 because the 8 didn't support aggregation.

Thanks for the help.

Answer from NetGear - The GS116Ev2 does not support 802.3ad which is LACP. It only supports Static LAG.

Solution - The GS108T supports LACP which is what the RT-AC5300 also supports.

Thank you netwrks, you were 100% right. I think we can consider this one solved. I also let NetGear know that they need to update their documentation on their switches to show which standard they support. I doubt it will help, but at least I tried.

Hello,
Sorry for bringing up an old post. But I was looking at the exact same setup when I came across this post. So now I know the RT-AC5300 is what I want for LCAP. The GS108T is an 8 port router though (Noticed it was an GS108Tv2 now), I was hoping to get a 16 port switch to have a little extra room. Since there is no GS116T switch equivalent, it seems the GS716Tv3 is the 16 port version from what I can see on Netgear's site. I have a Synology 916+ I want to do LACP with on the switch then also do LACP between the switch and router.