What's new

RT-AC5300: Issues with slow wifi speeds on low control channels

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

solo

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,

I have an RT-AC5300 router running Merlin's latest FW 380.68_4, factory reset and reconfigured. Running 2 separate 5GHz streams, 5GHz-1 and 5GHz-2, identical setup for each.

5 GHz-1 is using the lower control channels (36,40,44,48) and is set on auto.
5 GHz-2 is using the higher control channels (149, 153, 157, 161, 165) and is set to 153.

Everything on 5GHz-1 is slow af. I tried manually setting every available channel, still slow. I get ~30 mbps on my iphone, macbook, ShieldTV when testing on 5GHz-1 (any channel). As soon as I switch that device to 5GHz-2 it comes alive and pulls 300mbps+ (channel 153).

TRX on the MBP on 5GHz-1 channel 48 is 878 mbps, RSSi -48 dBm, Noise -92 dBm, 80MHz width.

There are 2 neighbor users on 36, 4x40, 3x44, 2x48; 3 neighbor users on 149, 3x153, 4x157

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Now it gets more odd. It appears that the nVidia ShieldTV drags everything down!
So currently, I have my iPhones, iPad, Macbook on 5GHz-1, and the Shield is on 5GHz-2.
When I woke up this morning I did a speed test on my iPhone and Macbook and it pulled 300+.
So I thought the problem above solved itself. Then I woke up the ShieldTV to watch Netflix.
For whatever reason I decided to retest my iPhone and Macbook - it was back to a ~30 mbps.
I did this exercise 5 more times. Every time I put the ShieldTV to sleep, everything on 5G-1 is fast.
As soon as I wake up the ShieldTV, everything on 5G-1 starts to crawl.

Totally bizarre. Any ideas, suggestions?

Just placed an order for an ASUS RT-AC3200 which I will configure the exact same way as the RT-AC5300 (same network names passwords etc.). Would be interesting to see if the problem there persists.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!