What's new

RT-AC5300 lack of updates

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spawn32

Occasional Visitor
with all the respect, aimesh wasn't a public feature when we bought our routers, nor asus has the obligation to share any betas with the public ahead of public release. From my POV, you have an engaged employee of asus that wants to do the right thing, get us excited about waht's coming and get the right feedback to ship this thing, and the last few pages are mostly folks complaining that their hacked device is not working or about timings. I just hope wilson keeps engaged and the feature doesn't get cut (that stuff happens). 0.02c.

The point here is that it has not been updated at all since June, and the June update is shirt, clik around in the gui for a minute and see what happens, it hangs and you have to power up and down, and we now have several security fixes that need to be applied asap, would
ha thought that the most expensive routers would get the updates firs, but with asus it's the other way...

And Wilson promised last week that we would have a update this week....

A beta firmware posted in an unofficial asus forum, hosted on a non asus server, from a guy asking for beta testers and feed back, has not been updated for a month...

Better question would be why you would run beta software on a flag ship. Beta is for non critical crap that you do not rely on. Im just flashing these betas on "hobby" routers that are behind a reliable firewall. What happens if this beta has a major hole in it like the firewall only comes up 75% of the time?

yes, we have that beta fw in this thread, but has not been updated, if you want the newest fw and fastest updates you must buy the least expensive asus router :D

So, this week is more or less gone and stil no official or beta update to the RT-AC5300, last time i will buy a Asus flagship.... :/

@Wilson_Deng
Just as well, with whiners like you - Asus likely won't ever release betas like this publicly again. They may cancel the entire AiMesh project for all the crap they are getting. Can you just shut up and try not to ruin it for everyone?

This FW is adding NEW features that you didn't even pay for. It's a free gift, a bonus. Enough already.

Just as well, with whiners like you - Asus likely won't ever release betas like this publicly again. They may cancel the entire AiMesh project for all the crap they are getting. Can you just shut up and try not to ruin it for everyone?

This FW is adding NEW features that you didn't even pay for. It's a free gift, a bonus. Enough already.

LOL, did you read the part about no official update since June ? have you heard about Krack ?
Did you also read what i said about the June update being very buggy ?

I dont care if it comes as a beta or official, i want it fixed, we where promised this last week if you read back in this thread...
We should expect something like this fixed fast on a expensive piece of hardware like this, if you can't grasp that you have a problem :)

Last edited:
LOL, did you read the part about no official update since June ? have you heard about Krack ?
Did you also read what i said about the June update being very buggy ?

I dont care if it comes as a beta or official, i want it fixed, we where promised this last week if you read back in this thread...
We should expect something like this fixed fast on a expensive piece of hardware like this, if you can't grasp that you have a problem :)
Don't come whine in an experimental beta firmware thread about a lack of an "official" update on your two year old router. Has there been any successful attacks on anyone via Krack that you have heard about? The Google Pixel won't even be patched till December (as well as many other flagship devices). You seem like you are on the media hype train with this. Being successfully attacked via Krack is no different than when you use any StarBucks, Airport or hotel WIFI (which a billion people in the world do everyday). Why no outcry about StarBucks from you? Get a life. Everything sensitive or important should use end to end encryption. WPA2 was compromised long ago.

I bought it in april this year, at that time it was the top model, until the GT version came out, it is now going back for a full refund and will be exchanged for a brand that get's support, had asus router's all my lift and though going to the top modell would be a wise move, sure :)

You have several harsh answer like this already here on the forum, guess it's just how you are...

BTW, everyone is doing mesh updates and bringing out mesh products this day's so if you think asus does that to be nice and giving us a gift, well..

I do agree i could have written this in another thread, but it was Wilson him self that wrote here, in this thread that it would be fixed now...

Not going to reply to any more of you harsh comments goggles99..

Last edited:
I bought it in april this year, at that time it was the top model, until the GT version came out, it is now going back for a full refund and will be exchanged for a brand that get's support, had asus router's all my lift and though going to the top modell would be a wise move, sure :)

You have several harsh answer like this already here on the forum, guess it's just how you are...

BTW, everyone is doing mesh updates and bringing out mesh products this day's so if you think asus does that to be nice and giving us a gift, well..

I do agree i could have written this in another thread, but it was Wilson him self that wrote here, in this thread that it would be fixed now...

Not going to reply to any more of you harsh comments goggles99..
Now you are going to scam a refund off some poor sap retailer on a router you have farted on for 7 months? You even seem proud of it. Why am I not surprised. I guess that is just how you roll huh?

You are the kind of harmful person whose unjustifiable behavior ruins things for everyone else.

Asus has close to 30-40 models to update for KRACK. Be patient, these things take time, plus they need to receive updates from the SOC manufacturers first.

AFAIK, other manufacturers are even slower at publishing updates resolving this issue. Linksys and Netgear update their flagship models maybe 3-4 times a year at best. Asus's track record there has so far been much better than pretty much all of the competitors. So if you think moving to a different manufacturer will get you more frequent/timely updates, you might be disappointed. I don't think that any of the other major manufacturers has issued a fix for KRACK for their own devices based on the same hardware platform as the RT-AC5300 (Broadcom SDK 7.14 BCM4366).

Just be patient. The KRACK problem probably delayed all other developments, including normally scheduled updates.

I don't think that any of the other major manufacturers has issued a fix for KRACK for their own devices based on the same hardware platform as the RT-AC5300 (Broadcom SDK 7.14 BCM4366).

To be fair the chipset in use in Asus products is entirely Asus problem.
Synology patched Krack in their routers a month ago, both the Qualcomm in rt2600ac and Broadcom in rt1900ac.

Asus has the same chipset as Synology rt2600ac in Asus brt-ac828.
Brt-ac828 got the Krack fix 2 weeks after the rt2600ac.
So Asus did not lead in a comparable situation.

goggles and spawn: Be more respectful in your comments and no profanity or both of you will be banned.

Regarding mesh: No other manufacturer has tried to add mesh features to a NON-mesh product. Frankly, I don't know why ASUS would do this and compete with Lyra.

To be fair the chipset in use in Asus products is entirely Asus problem.
Synology patched Krack in their routers a month ago, both the Qualcomm in rt2600ac and Broadcom in rt1900ac.

Asus has the same chipset as Synology rt2600ac in Asus brt-ac828.
Brt-ac828 got the Krack fix 2 weeks after the rt2600ac.
So Asus did not lead in a comparable situation.

Now take a look at Netgear, D-Link, TP-Link, Linksys... You picked the one exception of the group. So far, Netgear still hasn't fixed the R7000 or the R7800, two of their most popular models.

As of yesterday, most of Asus's high-end models have been patched.

It's easy to say that someone is doing bad when you pick the one good exception out there to justify your point. I still maintain that Asus has been more active at patching this specific security issue than the majority of the market.

I still maintain that Asus has been more active at patching this specific security issue than the majority of the market.

I would agree - and KRACK was perhaps a bigger promotion/click bait than it was as a real issue from an AP perspective...

It's easy to say that someone is doing bad when you pick the one good exception out there to justify your point.

I did not want to say Asus is bad but just point out what another maker was capable of. Asus may be doing better than some others but actually still has room to improve.

It is easy for brands to sit on their hands and say they are not the worst offender.
Asus should own what chips they pick, how many devices they release and their patch timing.

How about third party firmware support like Merlin? Has that already been addressed for KRACK? If so, how long did it take?

Not for the RT-AC5300, as Asus hasn't provided an update with related source code yet.

No ETA.

One would think that with common code for nearly all wireless routers, a patch to Asuswrt would result in a firmware release for all.

The RT-AC5300 not having an update since 2017/06/15 is concerning.

Too many different routers to support, I assume Asus needs to put each separate model through its own series of tests before releasing a new firmware. Even if those models are very similar, the RT-AC5300 does have a few differences that require dedicated testing.

ROG means Really Obnoxious GUI.
It differs so much from the normal AsusWRT GUI so updates will always be lacking. This is their most expensive consumer router so in that sense it is a flagship. But like the RT-AC5300 it is left in the dark when it comes to updates. And the GT-AC5300 really needs an update!

Hi

Does anyone know who I can contact to see if the RT-5300 is still going to be supported.

As we have the router deployed in multiple places in our network. 5 month on and not one update

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!