What's new

RT-AC5300 Link Aggregation with Synology NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Spicy93

New Around Here
Hi All, Ive got a question relating to setting up link aggregation between my main router RT-AC5300 and Synology DS920+. The 5300 only has 4 ethernet ports, Ive got 2 mesh nodes on ethernet backhaul, and I have a bunch of other things to hardwire in. My thought was: Port 1 + 2 (LIAG Ports) connect to LIAG 8 Port switch, Port 3+4 go to mesh nodes so they have dedicated 1G connection to the router. From the 8 Port Switch, I can connect my various other devices along with the LIAG connection to the NAS. I set this up last night, and the NAS got all messed up with the IP Addresses. Ended up disconnecting Port 1 from the router, so switch is only on single ethernet and the issue was fixed.

Does anyone know if its possible to do what Im trying to do? A friend is telling me that the router isn't designed to connect to a switch, but instead straight to a device like a NAS. If I do this then one of my mesh nodes will lose the direct 1G link to the router.

Anyone have any advice?

My question for you be what scenario are you trying to set up to actually make use of the aggregation. It only makes sense when the device you are connecting can generate enough load on the NAS. Are you really going to see any benefit between your router and the NAS? Generally, most people find that they can't generate the kind of traffic that would actually make the effort and potential instability worthwhile.

For my use case, I multihomed all my NAS boxes so that they are all connected to my main internal subnet for general access from PCs, video playback, tvs, etc but also have a dedicated subnet and wiring on their secondary NICs so that the backup and sync traffic is separated. A third NIC in one of my NAS units provides web server access on a third subnet direct to my modem/router isolating that traffic as well. I played with aggregation but couldn't find a scenario where I could actually benefit from it.

Sorry I don't have an answer on your switch question as I don't have experience in that scenario.

How did you setup your NAS, because if you don t create the bond that can create problems because 2 ip for the same device on the same LAN. If you did it well, i am sry i have no other idea, my NAS is connected to my router without switch between them and it shows 2000Mbps.

Did you even try to connect your NAS straight to the router, just to confirm it works ?

My question for you be what scenario are you trying to set up to actually make use of the aggregation. It only makes sense when the device you are connecting can generate enough load on the NAS. Are you really going to see any benefit between your router and the NAS? Generally, most people find that they can't generate the kind of traffic that would actually make the effort and potential instability worthwhile.

For my use case, I multihomed all my NAS boxes so that they are all connected to my main internal subnet for general access from PCs, video playback, tvs, etc but also have a dedicated subnet and wiring on their secondary NICs so that the backup and sync traffic is separated. A third NIC in one of my NAS units provides web server access on a third subnet direct to my modem/router isolating that traffic as well. I played with aggregation but couldn't find a scenario where I could actually benefit from it.

Sorry I don't have an answer on your switch question as I don't have experience in that scenario.
So basically I’m trying to maintain maximum speed for my plex server, with a few remote users. Plus a couple local users. While I don’t think I would ever max out the 1Gb connection, it would be nice knowing it can be pushed comfortably.

I was running this way for about 2 years with AC88U.
LAN1+2 both connected to the Synology
Link aggregation on on both sides.

Worked great, got about 2GB effective on the bonded connection.

Recently started having problems and the Synology support asked me to turn it off, so turned it off temporarily.

I was running this way for about 2 years with AC88U.
LAN1+2 both connected to the Synology
Link aggregation on on both sides.

Worked great, got about 2GB effective on the bonded connection.

Recently started having problems and the Synology support asked me to turn it off, so turned it off temporarily.
What problems were you having