1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC5300 + Lyra MAP-AC2200 AI Mesh

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by JasonUK, Dec 15, 2019.

1. JasonUK

JasonUK Occasional Visitor

Went to the in-laws (Home 1) to setup a new network today to replace their Shitty Sky hub and it's made a good difference but I need to go back tomorrow and fix a few black spots in the most economical method possible. I also need to do something for my parents house (Home 2).

See below for a breakdown of my current setups - note that Home 3 is my own home.

Home 1.
    ISP: Sky 50mbps
    Router: RT-AC5300
    Modem: Sky Hub 2.0 (Modem-Mode)

Home 2.
    ISP: Virgin Media 150mbps fibre
    Router: Virgin Hub 3.0
    Modem: Virgin Hub 3.0

Home 3.
    ISP: Virgin Media 150mbps
    Router: GT-AC5300 + RT-AC5300 Meshed
    Modem: Virgin Hub 3.0 (Modem Mode)

I'm thinking to give my RT-AC5300 (home 3) to my parents (home 1) which would be sufficient for them. Then purchase the Lyra AC2200 (x3) kit. Place 1 Lyra in Home 3, and the other two in Home 1 to fix the black spots at either end of the home.

See below my planned setup:

Home 1.
    ISP: Sky 50mbps
    Router: RT-AC5300 + Lyra AC2200 Meshed + Lyra AC2200 Meshed
    Modem: Sky Hub 2.0 (Modem-Mode)

Home 2.
    ISP: Virgin Media 150mbps fibre
    Router: RT-AC5300

Home 3.
    ISP: Virgin Media 150mbps
    Router: GT-AC5300 + Lyra AC2200 Meshed

I've read about some people experiencing issues with guest network not working over Lyra and connections being unstable. I won't really need the guest network but do need a solid connection. Can anyone confirm if the issues have been resolved via a FW update?

Also - can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative route to go? We don't want wires. Home 1 has the AC5300 in the centre of the home where we all gather but, the black spots are at opposite corners.. hence I will need two extra units to cover it.