What's new

RT-AC5300 New Official Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.20942

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zvqra

Occasional Visitor
Version 3.0.0.4.384.20942 2018/05/21 45.88 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC5300 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.20942
- Improved system stability.
- Improved AiMesh performance.
- Fixed XSS vulnerability. Thanks to Yonghui Han of Fortinet's FortiGuard Labs.
- Fixed CVE-2018-8877, CVE-2018-8878, CVE-2018-8879
- Fixed plain text password vulnerability in lighttpd.
- Modified Quick Internet Setup wizard process.
- Main SSID and guest network can hide independently.
- Fixed OpenVPN client authentication issues.
- Fixed DDNS register bugs.
- Administrator can asisgn specific WAN interface to register DDNS in dual wan load balance mode.
- GUI can show current control channel when enabled Smart connect.
- Fixed OpenVPN client DNS related issues.

For now only available under Windows 7 64Bit download.

Updated to this version from 3.0.0.4.384.20648. All went fine, I'm also just trying it without doing a factory reset since I have a bunch of VPN/DDNS stuff configured. I did power off the unit. So far, so good.

My current AiMesh setup is as follows:

Main Router RT-AC5300
Nodes:
1xAC5300
1xAC86U
1xAC68U

Upgraded Main router and 1xNode (RT-AC5300) via web GUI, no factory reset of either RT-AC5300's, and no problems yet, all good, no node disconnections, all nodes and main router behavior is great too date. Other nodes on most current ASUS AiMesh firmware.

Early days maybe, but I have noticed a more consistent signal strength from my main router to the nodes as well.

Go AiMesh.......loving it even more with each firmware update from ASUS. Stability continues to improve. ASUS, next step, give us some functional enhancements to AiMesh, e.g. node reboots from the web GUI, Guest accounts rolling down to the nodes would be a great starting point.

Will report back if I notice anything going on.....

Last edited:
Updated my AiMesh Router RT-AC5300 to Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.20942

I did full factory reset of my AiMesh Router and Node(s) as a habit to ensure I start clean. It has been running for about 9 hours :) everything seems to be working as it should. Thank You ASUS!

Now, I know that many of you dislike the idea of accessing the router through the app. But, this firmware update restores that function that was lost with the previous firmware version. After this update, and without factory resetting, I can sign into the router with the android app.

some (if not many) reported to be hacked, and they all installed or used the app ... think about it what you want but dont say you have not been warned.

4762683D-2BDD-4419-A829-4CCE8AACE258.png
some (if not many) reported to be hacked, and they all installed or used the app ... think about it what you want but dont say you have not been warned.
Hi Grisu,
Unlike the earlier versions, the current version of ASUS Router APP (iOS Version 1.0.0.0.95) provides the option to have APP runs WITHOUT Remote Connection, thus making it a bit safer :)
Personally, I still prefer to use my MacBook Pro for such installation and configuration activities.

Last edited:
I did have to make one change after going with this version. I had several wireless clients like my HP printer, VOIP phone and a media bridge that I could no longer access their websites to manage them. After changing "Enable WMM APSD" to Disabled in Wireless -> Professional on each of the radios my problem went away (I did a reboot of the router after making these changes - not sure if the reboot was necessary).

Main Router RT-AC5300
Nodes:
1xAC5300
1xAC86U
1xAC68U

Upgraded Main router and 1xNode (RT-AC5300) via web GUI, no factory reset of either RT-AC5300's, and no problems yet, all good, no node disconnections, all nodes and main router behavior is great too date. Other nodes on most current ASUS AiMesh firmware.

Early days maybe, but I have noticed a more consistent signal strength from my main router to the nodes as well.

Go AiMesh.......loving it even more with each firmware update from ASUS. Stability continues to improve. ASUS, next step, give us some functional enhancements to AiMesh, e.g. node reboots from the web GUI, Guest accounts rolling down to the nodes would be a great starting point.

Will report back if I notice anything going on.....

I STARTED A NEW THREAD ON WHICH WAY TO UPDATE FW, WEB GUI OR ASUS APP.

PLEASE RESPOND ON THE NEW THREAD LOCATED HERE:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/update-fw-using-wed-gui-or-asus-app.46856/

My setup is in my signature.

So, thinking of trying 20942. Based on past experience I'm a little gun shy.
I have two choices for my update procedure.
  1. Upgrade via the web GUI. If I do this would I start with the Parent, let it complete, let it reboot, and then I will still see the nodes after reboot so I can update them. Or, do I update nodes first with parent last?
  2. Upgrade via the IOS app. The parent and two nodes will automatically update (assuming it happens just like for 20648). Then when I sign back to the parent I should see the two nodes again. THIS IS THE PART THAT FAILED WHEN I TRIED INSTALLING 20648.
Words of wisdom on my choices are appreciated

Last edited:
Main Router RT-AC5300
Nodes:
1xAC5300
1xAC86U
1xAC68U

@Neil62,

1. Are you using a wired backhaul for the RT-AC5300 node?
  2. If not wired about how far away from the Parent is the RT-AC5300 node.
  3. When you upgraded using the web GUI did you update the Parent(i.e. Main) RT-AC5300 first?
  4. If so, after the FW update and auto reboot, did the RT-AC5300 node show up in the GUI so you could then update the RT-AC5300 node? Or did you have to use "Search" in the Web GUI?
Thanks.
Jim

@Neil62,

1. Are you using a wired backhaul for the RT-AC5300 node?
  2. If not wired about how far away from the Parent is the RT-AC5300 node.
  3. When you upgraded using the web GUI did you update the Parent(i.e. Main) RT-AC5300 first?
  4. If so, after the FW update and auto reboot, did the RT-AC5300 node show up in the GUI so you could then update the RT-AC5300 node? Or did you have to use "Search" in the Web GUI?
Thanks.
Jim
All My Aimesh is Wifi connected no wire backhaul.
It is about 20 meters apart
No I just clicked on the upgrade button available in the GUI below the initialize button. It went about its business of upgrading, on completion both AC5300's were on new firmware. Main and node all good nothing lost, mian remained as mian and node was available, no additional search required.

My AiMesh Setup

1xRT-AC5300 - Main Router

Nodes
1xAC68U
1xAC86U
1xAC5300

All the above routers are using their most current AiMesh firmware and WIFI connected....

What I have noticed is that on the both 5GHZ bands for the nodes they are using different channels from that of the main router. I have tried this on both auto and fixed for channels and various wireless modes and channel bandwidths. NO luck. I have also tried powering off and restarting ALL but still the problem exits on the 5GHZ bands. All the above configuration changes were done through the web GUI of the main router. I have even tried a re-initialize of all nodes and joining them back into the mesh and still the problem exists.

Has anybody else noticed this?

I have checked and confirmed this using various WIFI tools such as inSSIDER, ACRYLIC WIFI, and android WIFI Analyzer. No problem on the 2.4 GHZ band all nodes switch correctly to nominated channel.

My initial thoughts were tri-band and dual band router mixtures in my AiMesh setup, but even with the other AC5300 setup as a node, it also continues to use a different set of 5GHZ channels as compared to the main router.

I don't have any nodes going off line which is great, just seems a little odd....

So how to get a fixed channel for the 5GHZ bands rolling down to the nodes?

Last edited:
My AiMesh Setup

1xRT-AC5300 - Main Router

Nodes
1xAC68U
1xAC86U
1xAC5300

All the above routers are using their most current AiMesh firmware and WIFI connected....

What I have noticed is that on the both 5GHZ bands for the nodes they are using different channels from that of the main router. I have tried this on both auto and fixed for channels and various wireless modes and channel bandwidths. NO luck. I have also tried powering off and restarting ALL but still the problem exits on the 5GHZ bands. Has anybody else noticed this? I have checked this using various WIFI tools such as inSSIDER, ACRYLIC WIFI, and android WIFI Analyzer. No problem on the 2.4 GHZ band all nodes switch correctly to nominated channel.

My initial thoughts were tri-band and dual band router mixtures in my AiMesh setup, but even with the other AC5300 setup as a node it is using a different set of 5GHZ channels as compared to the main router.

I don't have any nodes going off line just seems a little odd....

Do you want to use different channel with your Main Router(RT-AC5300) in your Node (RT-AC5300)?

Do you want to use different channel with your Main Router(RT-AC5300) in your Node (RT-AC5300)?
If I am nominating a fixed channel on the main router for both 5GHZ bands, then the nodes should use the same fixed nominated channel as per the main router.

If I am nominating a fixed channel on the main router for both 5GHZ bands, then the nodes should use the same fixed nominated channel as per the main router.

Your problem is the Node are using different channel with your Main Router. is't correct ?

My AiMesh Setup

What I have noticed is that on the both 5GHZ bands for the nodes they are using different channels from that of the main router. I have tried this on both auto and fixed for channels and various wireless modes and channel bandwidths. NO luck. I have also tried powering off and restarting ALL but still the problem exits on the 5GHZ bands. All the above configuration changes were done through the web GUI of the main router. I have even tried a re-initialize of all nodes and joining them back into the mesh and still the problem exists.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Neil62,
Just curious if you have disabled WPS on your AiMesh Router. I recalled (leaky memory) I got this issue sometime back when I turned WPS OFF when there was a lot of discussions on general WPS security issue. I have since left WPS ON (default). Hope it is relevant.

Neil62,
Just curious if you have disabled WPS on your AiMesh Router. I recalled (leaky memory) I got this issue sometime back when I turned WPS OFF when there was a lot of discussions on general WPS security issue. I have since left WPS ON (default). Hope it is relevant.
Thanks for the reply WPS is on....

Thanks for the reply WPS is on....
Neil62,
What are Wireless settings that you have Changed from default values after Factory Reset ... so that I can test it on my setup when I get home later, to see if we can get some clues:).
PS: I try to leave NVRAM settings in their default value, unless I have very good reason to change them.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!