What's new

RT-AC5300 not assigning IP address - bricked?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Klaus Bachlet

New Around Here
My first ever post of SNB so please go easy on me.

I have a RT-AC5300 set up as a mesh node that's paired with another RT-AC5300 via ethernet cable, both running stock up-to-date firmware. Some days ago the primary router starting providing intermittent access and I had to factory reset that one. Internet access was then restored. I now want to re-link the mesh node to the primary one but the mesh node has gone haywire. I have done every type of reset multiple times. Rescue mode confirms that all settings are restored. The power LED and 2 x wifi lights illuminate after power-up.

The same issue continuously reappears:

When I then plug in the ethernet cable from the primary router the mesh node seems to confuse the primary one and internet access becomes choppy again. I need to set this node router up again as a mesh node but it is not allowing me to connect to it, either via LAN patch cable or wirelessly with any device (laptop or Android phone). When I try getting onto one of its networks (2.4G or 5G) with my phone, the phone is meant to register on the network and read "connected without internet". It is not happening and simply skips to the next available network. Similarly a laptop connects for a few seconds before disconnecting again. Connecting laptop via ethernet also does not identify the router as "ASUS".

Interestingly, holding the reset button with a paperclip on its own now no longer resets the router, although the button still works for switching the router into Rescue mode.

Any help would be appreciated, I cannot think it's bricked (or maybe there is something I'm doing wrong) and would like to get some more life out of it as it was quite a pricey purchase, even back in its day - before upgrading to a newer unit.

Thanks in advance.

My first ever post of SNB so please go easy on me.

I have a RT-AC5300 set up as a mesh node that's paired with another RT-AC5300 via ethernet cable, both running stock up-to-date firmware. Some days ago the primary router starting providing intermittent access and I had to factory reset that one. Internet access was then restored. I now want to re-link the mesh node to the primary one but the mesh node has gone haywire. I have done every type of reset multiple times. Rescue mode confirms that all settings are restored. The power LED and 2 x wifi lights illuminate after power-up.

The same issue continuously reappears:

When I then plug in the ethernet cable from the primary router the mesh node seems to confuse the primary one and internet access becomes choppy again. I need to set this node router up again as a mesh node but it is not allowing me to connect to it, either via LAN patch cable or wirelessly with any device (laptop or Android phone). When I try getting onto one of its networks (2.4G or 5G) with my phone, the phone is meant to register on the network and read "connected without internet". It is not happening and simply skips to the next available network. Similarly a laptop connects for a few seconds before disconnecting again. Connecting laptop via ethernet also does not identify the router as "ASUS".

Interestingly, holding the reset button with a paperclip on its own now no longer resets the router, although the button still works for switching the router into Rescue mode.

Any help would be appreciated, I cannot think it's bricked (or maybe there is something I'm doing wrong) and would like to get some more life out of it as it was quite a pricey purchase, even back in its day - before upgrading to a newer unit.

Thanks in advance.

Re-commission the router/firmware standalone with nothing connected to it. If it doesn't behave normally, replace it... it's EOL.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!